• Edith Jones

Army / Flying Corps
  • Australian Army Nursing Service

To select multiple units, brigades and ranks, hold the ctrl or shift key on your keyboard and select your options

  • British War Medal
  • Victory Medal
  • Birth

    Mooroopna, VIC, Australia

Stories and comments
    • JONES, Edith - Sister, AANS
    • Posted by FrevFord, Monday, 7 March 2016

    Born in 1882 at Mooroopna, Vic – daughter of William JONES and Eliza KITCHEN William and Eliza were House Steward and Matron of the Mooroopna Hospital from about 1881, until Eliza’s death in 1895 at the age of 44. William continued in his position until his own death 2 years later in 1897, age 53. Siblings: Lucy b.1879 – marr J. Arthur HICKS 1900 – d.1970, age 91; Elsie b.1883 Mooroopna (Sister, AANS / Matron Jones, Mooroopna Hosp); Ada Elizabeth b.1885 Mooroopna – marr Robt A CLUGSTON 1915 Trained in nursing at the Melbourne Hospital for 3 years Sister – Warrnambool Hospital, Gippsland Hospital, and a Private Hospital Member RVTNA WW1: Embarked 17/7/1915 on the A67 Orsova with the Convalescent Depot for Harefield Park, England – and detached for duty with 1st Australian Auxiliary Hospital (AAH), Harefield 3/9/1915 Furlough 14/10/16 – 27/10/16 Reported for duty, 1st Australian General Hospital (AGH) France 3/10/17 UK Leave 18/12/17 – stayed in England & resigned to be married Married Harry Thomas WRAIGHT, Lieut 7th Bn (DCM, MM) on the 26/12/1917 at St Giles, London, England The couple, probably having met whilst Harry was hospitalized at the 1st AAH early in 1917, returned to Australia together on the Karagola 30/4/1919 – 12/6/1919 Child (1): Dorothea Farming at Ouyen immediately after the war – and then allotted a block in the Irrewarra Estate, near Colac in May 1920 Dairy farming at Cranbourne 1927 – sold off their herd and plant in December 1930 and moved to Cardinia, where Harry was Labouring Moved from Cardinia in February 1936 – to Sweet Hills, Lysterfield, where Harry was the Farm Manager – they were still at Lysterfield when Harry enlisted in WW2 in 1941 But by 1949 they were living in Albert Park, and Harry was working as an Employment Officer Edith died on the 3rd of January 1950 at the Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital, age 68 She was buried in the Box Hill Cemetery on the 5th January – [Location: M-*-0278] Harry Thomas WRAIGHT was born on the 3/3/1889 in Chilham, Kent, England – son of Thomas Labourer WW1: Lieut, 7th Bn (DCM, MM) – enlisted at Tynong, Vic 6/1/1915 Fell sick with Laryngitis 2/12/1916 Transferred from Norfolk Hosp to the 1st AAH, Harefield 3/1/1917 – discharged to furlo 2/3/1917 [A note on his casualty form entered Oct 1917: “In event of casualty advise Sister E.Jones 1AGH] RTA on the Karagola 30/4/1919 – 12/6/1919 WW2: Staff Sergeant 1941 - 1943 Remarried to Mina Jean by 1954 – living in Croydon and employed as a Gardener Still at Croydon in 1963 but employed as a Moulder Died in 1965 at Heidelberg, age 76 (par UK) – he was cremated at the Springvale Botanical Cemetery 2/12/1965, and the ashes collected. His wife Mina Jean of Croydon applied for his Gallipoli Medallion in 1967 Gippsland Times (Vic), Thur 7 May 1914 (p3): GIPPSLAND HOSPITAL TUESDAY, MAY 5th 1914 …………………………………………………………………. General There were two applications for the position of medical sister, and Edith Jones was appointed, on the recommendation of the Matron and Medical staff. Gippsland Times (Vic), Mon 24 May 1915 (p.3): PERSONAL Sister Jones, of the medical ward of the Gippsland Hospital, has been accepted for service at the front, and will leave in a few weeks time. Gippsland Mercury (Sale, Vic), Tue 29 Feb 1916 (p.3): LETTER FROM A FORMER SALE NURSE HAREFIELD PARK HOSPITAL Many of our readers will remember Sister Jones, formerly of the Gippsland Hospital, Sale, who volunteered to undertake nursing duties at the front. The following interesting items will be read with much interest, we are sure, taken from a letter to the convener of the Sale Red Cross branch. Sister Jones writes from the Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Harefield Park, Middlesex, which is situated 15 miles from London. “This beautiful place, Park House, was kindly placed at the disposal of the Government for the returned wounded Australian soldiers by its owner, Mr Bilyard Leake, himself and Australian. It is interesting to mention that the gentleman named is a brother-in-law of Mr Arthur Gellion, of Sale. Sister Jones writes enthusiastically of the great kindness of Mr Bilyard Leake, who, in addition to giving the use of Harefield Park, is helping in lots of other ways, and is at present supplying all the artificial limbs for the wounded men. The grounds are very much cut up at present by huts as wards, recreation rooms and other places. We have at present twenty-nine wards and something over 500 patients. Our men are grand; I love them all for what they have done. I have a septic surgical ward of 21 beds, and have another sister and an orderly to help me. I have plenty of work, but in our ward we are quite happy. I often wish some of the lovely boxes you are sending away would come to us, although we cannot complain, for everyone is very good. We have almost everything we can possibly need. The bandages are amongst the most useful things that can be sent to the front. I may as well say here, too, that the bandages are washed until they are of no more use, alsod the face cloths and other articles. People used to say things would be used once, and thrown away; but they needn’t fear, that does not occur. If you ever want me to look up any wounded boys, will you give me their rank and number and battalion if possible. It almost makes my heart break sometimes to see the poor boys about here. We have two blind boys at present, and have had to send two away to a mental home; then there are so many who have lost limbs. I have a grand lot in my ward, and the other sisters speak the same of theirs. We feel very proud of them all when we hear how the English people talk of them. We have had four D.C. Medals awarded at this hospital since we came here. Sir George Reid gave them, and Lady Reid pinned them on. It is bitterly cold, and all the lovely autumn tints are gone. There is hardly anything but a grey sky to be seen and plenty of mud and rain. We had some snow, and it was cold; but we all enjoyed the snowballing as we went on and off duty. I like our sunny land best, and when the war is over I am coming right back home. A Zeppelin went right over our heads in the last raid, and we saw it distinctly. It gives one a very queer feeling.” Some very interesting post-card views accompanied the letter, which give a very good idea of the beautiful surroundings, including a view of Park House, Harefield, and the church; also a photo of the writer surrounded by some of her patients, bearing the significant inscription: – “Ward 19, Haven of Rest. Advance Australia.” Gippsland Mercury (Sale, Vic), Fri 14 Jul 1916 (.3): A GIPPSLAND NURSE’S LETTER The members of the Red Cross branch at Sale have received a very interesting letter from Nurse Jones, who will be well remembered in Sale as having been attached to the Gippsland Hospital. It will be remembered that some months since we published one from the same lady, dated from the same place, which was kindly placed at the disposal of the British Government by Mr Bilyard Leake, a gentleman not unconnected with Gippsland. Its beauties are referred to in the letter, which we subjoin: – “Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Harefield Park, Middlesex, 18/5/16 – Another mail goes out to-morrow, so I must try and get a few lines written to catch it. I am on night duty now. Such a number of our boys went home that my ward was closed. I was very sad at parting with them, although they were going to their own people. Up to the present, since I last wrote to you, we have been very quiet here, but now we are getting some of our boys from France. To-day we opened two of the wards again, we got forty new boys. I haven’t seen many of them yet. The last two nights I have been ‘specialling’ one of our sisters. She fell from her bike and got slight concussion; but she is so much better to-night that I am almost sure to go back to my wards to-morrow. We have got two Russian boys in just now. They are such nice boys, too. It is strange how they have kept together all through. They told usthey were in Australia for two years, enlisted from there, got to France, and went through the same trenches; then were wounded by the same shell and at the same time, each in an arm – one right and one left. They got to hospital in France, and then on here, and for the first time they were separated, but it was only for one night. Next morning, when their story was told, they were put together, and are now quite happy and at home with us. Thank you very much for “The Mercury.” It was nice to get it, but a great surprise to see my letter printed. I only wish I could write one interesting enough, and I would send it to the paper; but that is beyond me. I have an orderly on duty with me at present who comes from Traralgon. His name is Pryde. He is a nice young fellow. It is nice to find someone who knows something about where one comes from. We have got a nice number of boys as orderlies, and I have admired them many times for the way they have taken on the work. One boy was studying for the ministry, another was a journalist; the night sergeant was a manager of a mine. The work they are doing now is very different to what they left behind; yet they all play the game, and do their bit well. I think we will all have learned a good number of lessons by the time we return home. I know I am learning more every day. We don’t seem to be doing much for the boys. We are always wishing we could do more, but I am very thankful I was able to come to them. I think we have a grand lot, and would do anything at all for them. How proud their own people must be of them. I feel now that they all really belong to me, too. I had a letter from Kath Robinson, also one from Nurse Sillett. It is so nice to hear from the girls, but I’m afraid they must think I have neglected them dreadfully. We are having the most glorious weather at present – perhaps a wee bit warm for sleeping in the day time, but the nights are most wonderful. It is twilight until 9 p.m., then moonlight, and the moon has not disappeared at 3 a.m., when it is bright daylight; then soon after 4 a.m. the sun rises. So, in the few hours I am on duty I have four changes. At 3 a.m. the birds are all singing and making a great noise. This morning for the first time I heard the real cuckoo, and it was so pretty. We are listening for the nightingale, but so far have not heard it. I wish you were all here with me to walk through the wonderful woods. The trees are all out in the softest of green leaf, and so thick that they are quite a roof over our heads. Then one can almost imagine that the earth has been covered with the most glorious carpet of green, dotted, or more than dotted, with the most glorious flowers. First of all the primroses came forth – the dear little flower, a wee bit short stemmed, but the bunches we picked and ‘yet never missed them.’ Our wards were pictures with them. Then the bluebells came, and as far as the eye coulde see was this blue tinge. The kingcups, buttercups and anemones are all out now, and it is just like fairy land might be. We spend our off duty hours in amongst this beautiful scenery, and say this is surely a wonderful land, and well worth fighting for. There was some talk last week of me going on transport or hospital ship duties, don’t know whether it is true or not yet. If transport, I may be home sooner than I expect. We have had a visit from General House and General Birdwood. They were to decide what was to happen, but we haven’t heard the result yet. I suppose you are still hard at work with the Red Cross. I wish I could feel I was doing as much for the boys as you people at home are doing. I don’t know what they would have done without you all. The war doesn’t look much like ending yet, does it? This riot in Ireland, too, made matters look very serious. One matron and two of the sisters and some orderlies were on furlough, and were in Ireland at the time. They had some very grave experiences – some, indeed, that made them think they were very near the firing line.” Gippsland Mercury (Sale, Vic), Tue 19 Dec 1916 (p.3): A NURSES’ LETTER Sister Jones, formerly of the Gippsland Hospital staff, and one of the first members of the Sale Red Cross branch, is still working at the A.A. Hospital at Harefield Park, and, through the courtesy of a member of the Red Cross, Sale, we give a few extracts from her interesting letter: – Sister Jones is on medical work in a ward of thirty beds, and her M.O. is Major Allan from Elsternwick, who used to have a practice in Bairnsdale some years ago. She says: – We have about 1000 boys in at present. One hundred and thirty came yesterday. Since commencing my letter my ward has been turned into a surgical one, and I got eight boys yesterday with wounds. I feel I am doing my bit. My ward is full again, so I am kept on the go pretty well; but I am quite happy, and still love being here. I got a very nice surprise a week or so ago. I was doing some photo printing in the dark room, when off duty, and some-one knocked at the door. I opened it to discover one of Mrs Cartledge’s sons. It was so nice to see him. I showed him over the hospital, and we had tea at the canteen. He had a friend, Private Davies, with him. I am afraid they must be sent on to the front before now, as they promised to let me hear from them again; but so far I have not heard anything. A nephew of Mrs Cartledge’s is here Corporal Witt, I often see him about; I think he will be going home very soon. We had another trip to Windsor this week. I had a day off, so I took three of my boys, and we had a lovely day. We have a lady friend whom we write to, and she meets us and shows us all over. We met her at Eton, and were shown the class-rooms there. It was quite a revelation to me. I quite thought they would have very nice desks and seats, etc.; but I suppose the beauty is in the age. One room in particular is the same one that was used when first the school was started (it was built in 1400). The desks were all cut away, as boys will – drawings and scribblings everywhere; not a picture of any description. Of course, all the desks, beams and pillars, etc., are of oak, and in that way are beautiful. We went into the examination room. The same old desks and forms are there, but here there are the busts of different great men around the room beautifully carved, and the names of all the boys who have been through the college are also carved around the walls. We picked out several names we knew. We couldn’t get into the library, but we took snaps outside. We did get into the chapel, and saw a flag that had been captured from the Germans by one of Eton’s old boys, which had been taken from the French by some Germans, who had it stuck in a tree behind their trenches. The chapel is very nice – lovely windows, and an altar that had been put up in memory of the South African men. It has been very wet. We get a great deal of rain, which the boys do not like at all. It keeps them inside too much, and there is not very much to do there. We have a chaplain here now. He is a younger man than the man we have had, and the boys like him, because he has been to the front and done his bit. He left Australia as a private, and was at the landing as a stretcher-bearer, and got the D.C.M. He was returned to Australia, and came away again as a chaplain; so he understands the boys. And the boys certainly want someone who does. I still did not get my letter finished. The boys do like to come and talk to us when we have finished our work, and it is then that we feel we can do a little for them; so letter writing must be put aside for a while. I have a boy in my ward who looks about 14 years of age, but he says he is 18. He has a wound in the foot, but is getting on all right. I do hope he won’t have to go back to the front. It is just lovely to see the way the boys do things for, and how good they are to each other. We should learn plenty of lessons whilst we are with them. We are told we are going to have a very cold, wet winter, and at present it looks like it. It has rained all day to-day. (Sister Jones enclosed a snapshot herself taken by one of the boys, also one of a German submarine captured by the British, and now lying at Temple Pier. Also one of herself and two Russian boys, whom she mentioned in an earlier letter. They have just left the hospital on furlough, and then home.) Gippsland Times (Vic), Mon 22 Apr 1918 (p.3): PERSONAL The following is an extract from a letter received by the president of the Sale Red Cross Society from Sister Jones, formerly of the Gippsland Hospital, who has been on service in England and France: – “I often picture you on Wednesdays, working away amongst the things for the boys. I often wonder, too, if you realise how great a thing the Red Cross is, and how much it has meant to the boys. I really don’t know what they would have done without it.” Gippsland Times (Vic), Mon 27 Jan 1919 (p.3): PERSONAL Excerpt from a letter written by Mrs H. Wraight (Sister Jones, of the Gippsland Hospital), to a member of the Sale Branch Red Cross Society: “I was in London when the news came that the armistice was signed. I went with the crowd to Buckingham Palace, and saw the Royal Family, and heard the King’s speech. The people gave the King and Queen a great reception. I didn’t think English people could be worked up so. It was a great sight, and must have been a greater one still from where the King stood on the balcony. I could not help thinking he should have felt happy and thankful to see that mass of people, and to see how loyal they were, and to think of other thrones that were just then falling.” The Dandenong Journal (Vic), Thur 5 Mar 1936 (p.4): CARDINIA Many friends gathered at the local hall, on Wednesday 26th ult, to say farewell to Mr and Mrs Harry Wraight, who have since left the district. The afternoon had been arranged by the C.W.A. and Mothers’ Club, of which Mrs Wraight had been an active member. After everyone partook of afternoon tea, speeches and toasts were made, then Mrs Wraight was presented with a beautiful crystal rose bowl, while on behalf of the men folk of the district, Mr Wraight received a gold mounted pipe. Their daughter, Dorothea, was entertained by the children at school on Friday afternoon, and was presented with with a brush and comb set, in remembrance of the children. The Argus, Wed 4 Jan 1950: DEATHS WRAIGHT – On January 3, at Heidelberg House, Edith, dearly loved wife of Harry, and loving mother of Dorothea. The Argus, 5 Jan 1950: DEATHS WRAIGHT – On January 3, at Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital, Edith, loved sister of Lucy (Mrs Hicks), Elsie, (Matron Jones), Ada (Mrs Clugston). Notes: Mr and Mrs William Jones, the house steward and matron, have also been at the institution for 10 years, and are highly respected throughout the hospital district. [from the Warragul Guardian 6/1/1891, p.4] Kyabram Union (Vic), Fri 30 Jun 1893 (p.3): Ministerial Visit to Mooroopna …………………………………………………….. Before partaking of lunch, the whole of the party were shown the exterior and interior of the pretty and well-kept hospital in Mooroopna; Dr Florance, the resident surgeon, and Mr and Mrs Jones, the steward and matron to the institution, being complimented on the neatness and completeness of everything. The Argus (Melb, Vic), Fri 4 Jan 1895 (p.6): MOOROOPNA, Thursday Mrs Jones, matron of the Mooroopna Hospital, died at the hospital yesterday. She had occupied the position of matron for a period of 15 years, and was well known and widely respected throughout the Goulburn Valley. The Mercury (Hobart, Tas), Wed 13 Oct 1897 (p.4): MOOROOPNA, October 8 Mr W. Jones, house steward at the Mooroopna Hospital for the past 16 years, died suddenly on Thursday from heart disease. He will be buried on Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock with full Masonic honours, as he was a member of the Grand Lodge. He was an enthusiast in wine and fruit culture, and did much to help these industries along. Riverine Herald (Echuca / Moama), Sat 13 Jan 1912 (p.2): Personal Miss Elsie Jones has been appointed matron of the Mooroopna hospital. There were 12 applicants for the position, including several nurses who recently arrived in the State as immigrants. The new matron’s mother was appointed matron of the hospital 30 years ago, and held the position for 18 years, right up till her death.