• Winifred Frost

Army / Flying Corps
  • Other
  • Sister

To select multiple units, brigades and ranks, hold the ctrl or shift key on your keyboard and select your options

  • 1914–1915 Star
  • British War Medal
  • Victory Medal
Stories and comments
    • FROST, Winnifred – Sister, QAIMNSR
    • Posted by FrevFord, Tuesday, 11 January 2022

    Winifred was born on the 24th of August 1885 at Turton Street, Semaphore, Sth Australia – the daughter of Frederick Robert FROST, H.M.C., and Eliza WOOLNOUGH, who married on the 23/9/1884 at St Bede Church, Semaphore, SA Frederick, who had been a Customs Officer before his retirement, died in the Renmark Hospital on the 7/6/1930, aged 79. Eliza died at Blackwood on the 19/7/1940. Siblings: Lettie Augusta b.5/8/1887 – marr WHITE; Doris Edith b.20/3/1889; Frank Lowick b.10/12/1891 (Ship’s Purser, Mercantile Marine / Navy) – WW2 – d.10/5/1976 Trained in nursing at Adelaide Hospital from 1906 Member of the Royal British Nurses Association and Australian Trained Nurses Association Matron of Jervois County Hospital, Cowell, 1912 – 1913; 1915 Rejoined the Ru Rua Hospital 1914 WW1: Winifred was temporarily appointed to the Australian Army Nursing Service (AANS), 4th MD, vice A.C. McGregor in January 1915. Having then been accepted to serve with Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve (QAIMNSR), Winifred embarked 6/4/1915 on the Malwa for Egypt. She was one of 22 nurses who were being sent to serve with the QAIMNSR in the first of four contingents in 1915. She served first in Alexandria, and then joined the Hospital Ship Assaye on the 21/7/1915 as one of seven staff nurses under Matron Bessie Pocock (AANS). They sailed from Alexandria on the 26th, arriving at Lemnos on the 28th and Cape Helles on the 31st, before returning to Alexandria on the 9/8/1915 to disembark their 423 patients. On the second trip they departed Egypt on the 12/8/1915, and arriving at Suvla Bay on the 14th, they then ferried patients from Suvla Bay and Imbros to Lemnos, before eventually returning to Alexandria again with over 500 patients, arriving on the 30/8/1915. At this stage, Bessie Pocock requested that a couple of her nurses be replaced, and it was decided to replace them all. She made the point of noting in her diary that she was very sorry to lose Sister Frost. However, Winifred appears to have remained on the Assaye afterall, as she wrote home from the ship in the September. Unfortunately, Bessie does not mention her again in her diary. See letters below. Following the announcement of their engagement in August 1915, Winifred married Albert Charles Edward SHORT on the 19th January 1916 at the Abbassia Barracks Chapel, Cairo, Egypt Albert was born 29/12/1888 Evandale, SA – the son of Edward and Elsie (nee Abbott) Commercial Traveller with Messrs A. Walton & Co. WW1: Warrant Officer 128, 3rd Field Ambulance He was invalided home on the Suffolk, embarking 29/1/1916, to undergo an operation on his knee Winifred returned to Australia on the Malwa, arriving on the 4/3/1916 The couple were residents of 6 Moresby St, Wayville, SA in Oct 1916 / Prince St, Solomontown 1917 / Avenue Rd, Fewville, SA – 1921 / “Jackawynne Farm”, Melrose, SA – 1922, 1924 Children: Joan Lowick b.6/6/1917 Port Pirie – marr F.J. TURNER 1943; Miriam Lowick b.10/3/1924 Booleroo – marr F.L. WRAY 1946; Barbara Lowick b.4/2/1927 – marr A.C. FILSELL 1951; Albert died on the 28/8/1928 at Ceduna Hospital, aged 39, two months after being appointed a Crown Lands Inspector with the Lands and Survey Department. He was buried in the Ceduna Cemetery. Winifred was living in Blackwood in 1928, and left the district in 1957 after 30 years residency. During that time she had continued nursing, and was a member of the Blackwood branch of the District Bush Nursing Society which had been established in 1947. She had also been an ardent social worker, and had worked for the RSL, was a member of the Blackwood School Welfare Committee, and had been involved in the CofE Sewing Guild and the Comforts Fund during WW2. She moved into the Allambi Home for the Aged, Glengowrie Winifred died on the 21st of February 1966 in the Repatriation Hospital, Daw Park, SA, aged 80 Her ashes were originally interred in the Centennial Park Cemetery, before being removed to the Ceduna Cemetery in 2015 The South Australian Advertiser (Adelaide, SA), Thur 27 Aug 1885 (p.4): BIRTHS FROST – On the 24th August, at Turton-street, Semaphore, the wife of F.R. Frost, H.M.C., of a daughter. The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA), Tue 23 Oct 1906 (p.8): ADELAIDE HOSPITAL The following appointments in the Adelaide Hospital were made in Executive Council on Monday morning: ………………………Winifred Frost, ………to be probationer nurses; ………………….. The Areas’ Express (Booyoolee, SA), Fri 26 Sept 1913 (p.3): OUR NEWS LETTERS Sister Frost, who has been matron in charge of the Jervois County Hospital for about one a half years, is about to resign her position. ……………………. During the time that Sister Frost has been in charge here many useful improvements has been effected at the institution principally through her suggestions, as prior to her coming here she held an important position in a large hospital in the city. ……………………. Sister Frost may at some future time return to the position which she is now vacating much to the general regret of the people in this district, and which she so faithfully and honourably fulfilled since her appointment. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/218927238 The Wooroora Producer (Balaklava, SA), Thur 30 Oct 1913 (p.4): COWELL, Oct 26th 1913 Sister Bret, who has been charge nurse at Port Augusta hospital has arrived, and taken up her position as matron in charge of the Jervois County hospital, in succession to Sister Frost, who recently resigned owing to ill health. The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA), Thur 26 Mar 1914 9p.14): ROYAL BRITISH NURSES’ ASSOCIATION The annual meeting of the South Australian branch of the Royal British Nurses’ Association was held on Wednesday at the Nurses’ Home, Hackney-road, und the presidency of Lady Way. ………………………………………………… Nurses Frost and Marsh have rejoined the staff of the Ru Rua private hospital. ……………. The Register (Adelaide, SA), Tue 2 Jun 1914 (p.6): JERVOIS COUNTY HOSPITAL ……………………………………… There had been three matrons. Nurse Sweeney had borne the brunt of much of the heavy work at the beginning, and had acquitted herself well. Sister Frost had carried things on after that in an able way, and now, under Sister Brett, a very high standard of efficiency had been reached. ………………… The Mail (Adelaide, SA), Sat 2 Jan 1915 (p.3): PERSONAL The following appointments (temporary) to the Australian Army Nursing Service, 4th Military District, have been approved: ……………………; Nursing Sister W. Frost, vice A.C. McGregor, seconded; ………………………. Eyre’s Peninsula Tribune (Cowell, SA), Fri 12 Feb 1915 (p.2): Personal Sister Frost has taken up her new duties as Matron of the Jervois County Hospital, in place of Sister Brett who was recently appointed Matron of the Renmark Hospital. Eyre’s Peninsula Tribune (Cowell, SA), Fri 26 Mar 1915 (p.2): PERSONAL Sister Frost, Matron of the Hospital, left last night en route for Adelaide, preparatory to leaving for England on the nursing staff with one of the expeditionary forces. Eyre’s Peninsula Tribune (Cowell, SA), Fri 9 Apr 1915 (p.2): Personal Sister Frost telegraphed a farewell message to the Hospital Board yesterday. A goodbye answer was wired wishing her a safe journey and return. Eyre’s Peninsula Tribune (Cowell, SA), Fri 25 Jun 1915 (p.2): HOSPITAL The adjourned annual meeting of ratepayers and subscribers to the Jervois County Hospital which was to have been held yesterday……………… The following extracts which are taken from the Chairman report, …………. Sister Brett who had been in charge for 16 months had been appointed as Matron of Renmark Hospital. Sister Frost who had succeeded Sister Brett as matron had received a call from the Australian Army Nursing Service, and was now doing duty at the front. The Mail (Adelaide, SA), Sat 7 Aug 1915 (p.6): ENGAGEMENTS SHORT – FROST The engagement is announced of Albert C.E. Short, A.M.C., Egypt, son of Mr and Mrs E. Short, Goodwood, and Winifred Frost (Sister), R.A.M.C., Alexandria, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs F.R. Frost, Semaphore. The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA), Fri 17 Sept 1915 (p.6): LETTERS FROM THE FRONT A NURSING SISTER’S EXPERIENCE Staff-Sister Frost, daughter of Mr and Mrs F.J. Frost, of Semaphore, who is in the Imperial Medical Corps at Egypt, writing to her parents from Alexandria on August 10, stated that her ship had the previous afternoon arrived at Egypt from the Dardanelles. “I have had a most exciting time,” she wrote, “and been within a quarter of a mile of the land. We had shells bursting around us and across the top of the boat, and falling within 50 yards of us. Whenever a trawler or a boat came nearby, trying to land soldiers, the Turks fired on them, but, thank goodness, everyone escaped; but it was too close to be nice. I can’t realise we have been so near to the firing line. We had such a grand view of everything, and even with the naked eye could see the men moving about on shore, especially the artillery and ambulance cars climbing over the hills. We were almost in a direct line with Achi Baba, the big hill our people are trying to take, but I am afraid it will be some time yet before they do so. We anchored at what they call Cape Helles, and stayed there a week. Last Friday afternoon there was a big attack, lasting for about three hours, and you can imagine what it was like. The noise was continuous; firing continued the whole afternoon without a break. Monitors and French cruisers were firing, as well as the guns on shore. But, oh, the awfulness was realised when we received the wounded. Ours was a heavy casualty list. At 11 at night the first cot arrived, and they continued to come till 2 o’clock, and by that time we were full up. I shall never forget that night till my dying days. How we worked getting those men to bed and their wounds dressed! We had to put them on deck and all over the place, and simply had to attend to the worst cases, and had not even time to wash the poor fellows, but just do their dressings and feed them. Some of them had the most dreadful wounds. Don’t think I shall want to do any more nursing when I return home. I think we saw every kind of steamer imaginable, especially at Mudros Harbour. There’s a lot I would like to tell about the trip, but am afraid I shall have to bottle it till my return, and goodness knows when that will be. We are all so thankful to get a rest to-day, feeling absolutely fagged after working from 6.30 am to 10 and 12 at night. In spite of it all we have been very happy and well looked after. On our last trip we had all Imperial men and no Australians, except three officers from Western Australia.” Eyre’s Peninsula Tribune (Cowell, SA), Fri 12 Nov 1915 (p.4): Letters Sister Frost writes from Hospital Ship S.S. “Assaye” on September 18th, as follows: – “We left Alexandria yesterday morning and expect to arrive at Mudros tomorrow morning early. Have been busy all day making mosquito nets and fixing up our wards. You have no idea what the flies are like at Lemnos, they seem to follow the men on board. This afternoon we had rather an exciting time. About 3 p.m. we passed the S.S. “London” returning to Alexandria. She signalled us to look out for wreckage, and a few miles further on we passed about five life boats overturned. Pieces of wood of all descriptions, and also life belts but no sign of bodies. Evidently, whatever the boat was, it had struck a mine or been torpedoed. To-night, through wireless, we heard that the “London” had survivors on board so it must have happened to-day. We are most anxious to hear what news there is when we arrive at Mudros. I can tell you it makes us feel rather nervous, I feel as though I would much prefer to be on land. We had to turn out for boat drill this afternoon. We have to go to the number of our boat, a sister, a doctor, and so many orderlies for each boat. We arrived at Mudros at 8 p.m. and left again at 3 a.m. We are bound for Suvla Bay, some miles further on than Cape Helles, and about four miles from where “Our Australians” landed. The wreckage we passed was a big troopship with 1900 on board, and only 400 were saved. The boat was torpedoed about 8 o’clock in the morning. She only left Alexandria a few hours before we did. Is it not dreadful; it made us all feel ill passing by the wreckage. Arrived at Suvla Bay about 7 p.m. last night. The bay is one mass of cruisers, etc. There has been heavy firing going on all night and again this morning. We took on a few wounded this morning. There are other hospital boats in and are filling up fast. This afternoon I had a chat to a general. He came on this morning slightly wounded. As the shells fell he pointed out at what place they were fired from and where our men are, and also the Turks. Through the glasses we could pick out the men marching over the hills. We have had a fearfully busy time this last 2 days. Monday morning at 3 o’clock the wounded started to arrive and they simply came on in boat loads up to 5 p.m. Over 600 altogether. It was awful, talk about work, it took us all out time to get the poor things into bed, fed, and dressed. Some of them had not had anything to eat for days, except biscuits, and very little water. We arrived at Mudros yesterday morning and to-day unloaded most of the men except the very serious cases. To-morrow we expect to sail for Suvla Bay again. I believe we are just going to run as a ferry between here and Suvla Bay. Our men all went to the Australian General Hospital. We are still here and waiting for sailing orders. To-day we have been busy in clearing up, etc., but feeling fearfully tired. In spite of the heavy work, we girls are keeping well. I do not know what we would do without the Red Cross Society. You should see the amount of pyjamas and things we have to get from them, and everything is used up. When you think of the men on board, say about 600, and they are all sent ashore with pyjamas and socks. Each time we go into port we have to get a fresh supply. The Red Cross certainly do their share of work for the poor fellows. Everything we can get is needed and used. The Register (Adelaide, SA), Wed 26 Jan 1916 (p.4): MARRIAGES SHORT – FROST – On the 19th January, at Abyssia Barracks Chapel, Cairo, Albert C.E. Short, Warrant Officer, No. 1 Auxiliary Hospital, Heliopolis, eldest son of Mr E. Short, Goodwood, to Sister Winifred Frost, R.A.M.C., eldest daughter of Mr F.R. Frost, Semaphore. (By cable) The Register (Adelaide, SA), Tue 12 Jun 1917 (p.4): BIRTHS SHORT (Nee Frost) – On the 6th June, at Nyola Hospital, Port Pirie, to Mr and Mrs A.C.E. Short, Prince street, Solomontown – a daughter. The Register (Adelaide, SA), Wed 12 Mar 1924 (p.10: BIRTHS SHORT – On 10th March, at Booleroo Centre Hospital, to Mr and Mrs Albert C.E. Short, of Jackawynne Farm, Melrose – a daughter. The Register (Adelaide, SA), Tue 8 Feb 1927 (p.8): BIRTHS SHORT – On the 4th February, the wife of A.C.E. Short, Melrose – a daughter. The Register (Adelaide, SA), Thur 30 Aug 1928 (p.8): DEATHS SHORT – On the 28th August, at Ceduna Hospital, Albert Charles Edward, beloved husband of Winifred Short, of Blackwood. The Register (Adelaide, SA), Tue 4 Sept 1928 (p.8): DEATHS SHORT – On the 28th August, Albert Charles Edward (Jack), beloved husband of Winifred Short, of Blackwood. Laid to rest in Ceduna Cemetery. The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA), Tue 12 May 1936 (p.22): DIPTHERIA AT BLACKWOOD EXPLANATION BY SCHOOL COMMITTEE [Letter to the Editor from Winifred – Hon Sec, Blackwood School Committee] https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/74155880 The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA), Tue 11 Aug 1936 (p.9): Nurses’ Pageant Arrangements for the Nurses’ Centenary pageant to be held in the Centennial Hall on September 23 are practically complete, Mrs L. Hurse, chairman of the committee in charge of the pageant, said yesterday. Sister Florence Kitson will represent Florence Nightingale, and the part of Edith Cavell will be taken by Mrs Short, who was formerly Sister Frost. Nurses are busy making their costumes, which are being copied from old uniforms, and collecting the history of their hospitals. …………………………………. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/48168809 The Register (Adelaide, SA), Sat 28 Aug 1943 (p.10): Marriages TURNER – SHORT – Aug 21, St James’s Church, Sydney, by Rev. Davidson, Joan Lowick (A.I.F.), eldest daughter Mrs and late A.C.E. Short, Blackwood, to Frank John (A.I.F.), only son Mrs, late E.J. Turner, Torrens Pk., both of S.A. The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA), Wed 19 Jun 1946 (p.4): Marriages The marriage of Miriam Lowick Short, second daughter of Mrs W. Short, of Blackwood, and the late Mr A.C.E. Short, with Frank Lindon Wray, elder son of Mr and Mrs F.H. Wray, of Rosefield will be celebrated at St Peter’s College Chapel at 3 p.m. on Saturday. The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA), Wed 4 Oct 1950 (p.24): ENGAGEMENTS SHORT – FILSELL – The engagement is announced of Barbara Lowick, youngest daughter of Mrs W. and the late Mr A.C.E. Short, of Blackwood, to Alick Clark, eldest son of Mr and Mrs C.E. Filsell, of Forest Range. The Coromandel (Blackwood, SA), Fri 11 Oct 1957 (p.2): MAINLY FOR WOMEN Well-known Social Worker leaves District It is with regret we say goodby to Mrs W. Short of Main Road, who left Blackwood during the week after residing here for thirty years. Her late husband was in the 3rd Field Ambulance during World War 1., while she herself was a nursing sister. Mrs Short was married in the Army Chapel at Abbassia, in Egypt, and it was in memory of this town, her home in Blackwood was named. Over the years she has been a very ardent social worker. In the early stages she worked for the RSL, and was a member of the Blackwood School Welfare Committee. Her other interests included the Church of England Sewing Guild and the Comforts Fund during World War II. Mrs Short did quite a lot of nursing in the district and up until the time she left she was a working member of the D.B.N.S. We are sorry to lose her and she will be missed by her many friends, but we hope she will have time to visit Blackwood occasionally.