• Annie Holmes

Army / Flying Corps
  • Australian Army Nursing Service

To select multiple units, brigades and ranks, hold the ctrl or shift key on your keyboard and select your options

  • Birth

    Cheshire, England

Stories and comments
    • HOLMES, Annie - Staff Nurse, AANS
    • Posted by FrevFord, Monday, 22 February 2016

    Born Jun Qtr 1878 Runcorn, Cheshire, England – eldest daughter of Thomas HOLMES (Carpenter & Joiner) & Alice WILLIAMS [christened on the 26/5/1878] Alice was at 51 Greenway Rd, Runcorn in 1915 Siblings: Bertha; Nellie, Lizzie *John b.c1890 Runcorn, England (Carpenter – apprenticeship with Bullen Bros, Liverpool, England) – WW1: Pte 2030, 12th Bn - 3rd Fld Amb – enlisted 14/2/1915 Tas – discharged in UK 12/4/1919 Religion: Church of England Trained in nursing at Brownlow Hill Hospital, Liverpool, England – 3 yrs Annie and her young brother John came to Australia in 1913 on the Osterley, departing London 31/1/1913 Member RVTNA Private Hospital – 12 mths Lyell District Hospital, Queenstown, Tasmania – for 6 months until her resignation in March 1915 WW1: Enlisted Tasmania Embarked 18/5/1915 on the RMS Mooltan with the 1st AGH for Egypt Married Gilbert Grant INNES, (Sgt-Maj, Lancashire Fusiliers, T.F.), at St George’s Church, Alexandria, Egypt on the 23 March 1916 Annie had nursed Gilbert after he was wounded at Gallipoli Son: Alexander Grant born 1917 – died 1997 Address 1921: via her mother at 51 Greenway Rd, Runcorn Annie died Mar Qtr 1961 Barton, Lancashire, age 83 Gilbert born Dec Qtr 1886 Barton I, Lancashire – son of William Grant & Elizabeth Wright (nee Stokes) INNES WW1: First served 3 Theatre of war 5/11/14 Cpl / Sgt 2163 Lancashire Fusillers Sgt 622690 Labour Corps Gilbert died Mar Qtr 1941 Barton, Lancashire Zeehan and Dundas Herald (Tas), Tue 16 Mar 1915 (p.4): AN APPRECIATION At Friday night’s meeting of the Hospital Board the resignation of Sister Holmes from the nursing staff of the Lyell District Hospital was received. Accompanying the letter containing the formal resignation of Sister Holmes was one from the matron of the institution (Miss Jean Davidson), in which that lady spoke in the highest terms of the departing sister’s capabilities as a nurse, and also her devotion to the interest of the patients. This refinement will be echoed by all residents of the district who have had occasion to use the hospital either as indoor or outdoor patients. The members of the Visiting Committee in recommending the acceptance of the lady’s resignation, stated that she just came to the hospital to do some relieving duty, but as there was an extreme pressure of work at the institution at that time, she volunteered to remain longer, and for six months, had acted as sister. As a slight recognition of her services the board decided to grant Sister Holmes her travelling expenses to and from Tasmania. It is understood that Sister Holmes has volunteered and been accepted as a nurse to accompany one of the Australian expeditionary forces which will shortly leave for Europe. Daily Post (Hobart, Tas), Fri 23 Apr 1915 (p.6): QUEENSTOWN Thursday Sister Annie Holmes, who has been employed at the Lyell District Hospital for several months past, and who offered her services as a nurse for the Red Cross Society, has received information from the military authorities to report herself at Hobart. She leaves here on Saturday next. Her destination will be the battle front in France. Daily Telegraph (Launceston, Tas), Fri 23 Apr 1915 (p.8): RED CROSS WORKER QUEENSTOWN, Thursday – Sister Annie Holmes, till lately nurse at the Queenstown Hospital, has offered her services as a Red Cross worker, and been accepted. She proceeds to Hobart immediately. Eccles and Patricroft Journal, Friday, April 14th, 1916 Married in Egypt News has been received this week that Sgt-Maj G. G. Innes (Lancashire Fusiliers T. F.) of Trevelyan Street Eccles, was married at St. George's church, Alexandria, Egypt, on March 23, to Nurse Annie Holmes, of the Australian Army Nursing service. Nurse Holmes took care of the sergeant-major when he was admitted to the Australian and New Zealand hospital after being wounded in Gallipoli in June.