• Ruby Meader

Army / Flying Corps
  • Australian Army Nursing Service

To select multiple units, brigades and ranks, hold the ctrl or shift key on your keyboard and select your options

  • Birth

    North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Stories and comments
    • MEADER, Ruby - Staff Nurse, AANS
    • Posted by FrevFord, Wednesday, 27 January 2016

    Born on the 29th November 1881 at Nth Melbourne, Vic – daughter of William MEADER and his second wife Emma HOSKING – who married on the 24/4/1873 at All Saints’ Church, Sandhurst, Vic William, a licensed victualler, lost his first wife Annie in 1869 at Bendigo, and four years after his second marriage the family moved to Melbourne Emma died at their home at 183 Smith St, Fitzroy on the 17/4/1903, aged 59, and William died on the 11/2/1905 at his home in Blackburn, aged 79 Half siblings include: Esther b.1857; George Chitty b.1859; Mary Gatty b.1861; William b.1863; Ellen b.1866; Siblings: Ruth Florence b.1875 – d.1876 (8mths); Gladys Emma b.1877 – d.19/8/1951; Genevive Gertrude (Viva) b.1879; Thomas Aubrey b.1885 (Ironturner / Motor Engineer) – WW1: Lieut, 37th Bn – died of Pneumonia 16/11/1918 at 2nd Stationary Hospital, France; Dorothy Beatrice b.1888 – d.1889 Box Hill (11mths) Electoral Rolls: 1903 ER: 183 Smith St, Fitzroy – Clerk (with Gladys & Geneveve – News agents) 1909, 1912 ER: 202 The Avenue, Parkville – Nurse (with Gladys Emma, home duties & Thomas Aubrey, Turner / Ironturner) 1914 ER: Melbourne Hospital – Nurse WW1: [NOK, sister, Gladys] Ruby embarked 26/12/1916 on the RMS Mooltan for India – disembarking Bombay 15/1/1917, where she was posted to the Cumballa War Hospital for duty Transferred to the Victoria War Hospital 8/2/1917, and promoted to temporary Sister 4/1/1918 Transferred to the Gerard Freeman Thomas Hospital 10/8/1918 and then for temporary duty on the Hospital Ship Yata 4/10/1918, for one trip to Mesopotamia Embarked at Bombay on the Royal George 18/11/1918 for England via Egypt, reverting to Staff Nurse on embarkation – re-embarked Port Said 27/12/1918 on the Kaiser-I-Hind – and disembarked Southampton 7/1/1919 Attached to the 1st Australian Auxiliary Hospital (AAH), Harefield – then the 1st Australian General Hospital (AGH), Sutton Veny 23/1/1919 Admitted sick to the 1st AGH 14/3/1919 – 29/3/1919, before being re-admitted 1/4/1919 with Tonsilitis Discharged to duty 23/4/1919 and attached to the 2nd AAH, Southall on the 24/4/1919 – and finally attached to the 6th AAH, Holland Park 31/5/1919 Embarked England 12/7/1919 on the City of Exeter, and disembarked at Port Said 23/7/1919, en route to Aden in order to be married Married Duncan MacGREGOR (of the National Bank of India, Aden) on the 7th August, 1919, at the Scotch Church, Aden Discharged 3/9/1919 due to marriage Children (2): 1. Tom Meader b.17/12/1920 St Helen’s Private Hospital, Windsor, Vic – WW2: Army 1941-1943, Pte, Melb Uni Rifles / RAAF 1943-1945, WO, 83 Sqdn; 2. John Duncan b.4/10/1923 Newara Elyia, Ceylon – WW2: 1942-1946 Gnr, 112 Aus Light Anti Aircraft Regt. [Ruby’s sister Gladys was staying in Colombo in April 1922 – her address care of the Nat Bank of India] In 1925 Ruby, together with her 2 sons Tom (4) & John (1½), and her sister Gladys, travelled from Colombo, Ceylon to the UK on the Mantola, arriving Plymouth 1/4/1925 Their intended address to be 15 Finnart Road, Greenock, Scotland 1929 Ruby, her sons and Gladys landed in Australia from Bombay, on the Maloja – their intended address, 42 Sandringham Rd, Sandringham Living at Monamie, Wickham Rd, Moorabin – prior to moving to Netherway St, Burwood Duncan was a passenger on the Behar in 1944 when it was sunk by the Japanese Cruiser Tone – he was one of the survivors taken aboard the cruiser and later executed along with other officers and crew on the 18/19th March 1949 ER: 14 Netherway St, Camberwell / Burwood (also John Duncan, student / & Tom Meader, student) 1963, 1968, 1972 ER: 14 Highbury Rd, Burwood Sth (also Tom Meader, engineer) From a letter, p.104 of NAA file M289 17: - living quite comfortably at 14 Highbury Rd, Burwood 1972 – with unmarried son – also has allowance from her late husband’s bank (National & Grindlay’s Bank, London) Ruby died in 1976 at Burwood, age 94 She was cremated on the 2/9/1976 at the Springvale Cemetery, Vic – and her ashes interred in the Dodonaea Garden N2, Bed 1, Rose 16 AWM Nurse Interview with Matron Kellett 1919: I embarked on the 26th December, 1916, on the “Mooltan,” coming over as a passanger. We had an uneventful voyage, and arrived in Bombay on January 13th. I went from there to Cumballa War Hospital, which was an English one, and all the patients were English. I was there for three weeks. We had medical cases only – dysentery and malaria, which we treated with emetines and injections. The Hospital was beautifully situated, being on a hill overlooking the sea. There was accommodation for 600 beds. It was a huge building, and had previously been a civilian Hospital. The food there was very good, and we had no difficulty at all in obtaining it. There were a large number of deaths there, however. The patients found plenty of amusements in the way of Billiards, and out of door sports, for which there were excellent grounds. The Sisters were very comfortably billeted in a large house attached to the Hospital, and their mess was very good. There were plenty of recreations for the Staff, and we had some good tennis courts. The Monsoon time was horrible. Everything was damp, and if one left anything shut up so that it might get the least bit moist, it would be covered in fungi. It was a most tiring climate, the heat taking all the energy out of one. The hours of duty were moderate, and we had half a day off every third day. I afterwards went to the Victoria War Hospital, which was tremendous building, having previously belonged to the G.I.P. There were six wards, each containing 100 beds, and each fitted up with electric light and fans. It was extremely well equipped. The cases were surgical and medical. We tended Germans from East Africa, and Turks, all of whom were in a very bad state, and many died after a few days. They were nearly all suffering from malaria and dysentery. They were very good, however, and when they were convalescent, we made them into orderlies; they were very anxious to learn to speak the English language. I stayed there a year and 11 months. The Matron and the female staff were Australians but the male personnel were English, but there was only very slight friction at times. We had some busy times there, as there were a lot of cases from Kut-el-Amara, most of which were sceptic wounds and dysentery. We had no difficulty here with the food. It was not always quite nice, but there was plenty. The civilians were very good to the boys, and sent cars to take them for drives. We were comfortably billeted here, in bungalows on top of the Hospital. Fortunately we had a lift. I went up the Himalayas for my first leave, to a place called Naini Tal – a hill station. It was so steep that we had to get out of the car half way up, and continue the journey in a kind of rick-shaw, carried by coolies. It was a lovely climate, and we had a splendid view of the eternal snows. The Victoria Hospital closed and I went to the Gerard Freeman Thomas War Hospital, named after the son of Lady Willingdon, who was killed in the War. She is the wife of the Governor, and is a really nice woman. She started a splendid club for the Nurses, where we could take our friends in to lunch or dinner. There were only British Patients here, and they had dysentery and malaria. There was an Australian Matron and Nursing Staff. The routine was much the same as the Victoria War Hospital. We had a very bad epidemic of influenza here, and we lost several patients. I went on a Hospital Ship for one trip to Mesopotamia, to a place called Busra. The heat was terrible while in the Persian Gulf. We stayed there a few days, and brought back very few patients. We also looked after some natives. It was an R.A.M.C. Medical Staff on board. On my return, I found that Orders had arrived for me to go to England. I went to Cairo for three weeks, and while waiting for a boat, I went t another Hospital. There was practically nothing to do there. On arrival in England, I went to No. 1 A.G.H., Sutton Veny, and was on duty there for some time. I am now awaiting transport to Australia. The Argus (Melb, Vic), Sat 29 Nov 1919 (p.17): MARRIAGES MACGREGOR – MEADER – On the 7th August, 1919, at the Scotch Church, Aden by the Rev. John C. Young, Duncan Macgregor, National Bank of India, Aden, Arabia, elder son of John Macgregor, Lochgilphead, Argyll, Scotland, to Ruby, youngest daughter of the late William Meader, of Melbourne, Australia. The Argus (Melb,Vic), Mon 20 Dec 1920 (1): BIRTHS MACGREGOR (nee Meader) – On the 17th December, 1920, at St Helen’s private hospital, Windsor, to Mr and Mrs Duncan Macgregor – a son (Tom Meader).