• Cyril Norman Wood

Army / Flying Corps
  • 5th Australian Light Horse Regiment
  • 2nd Light Horse Brigade
  • 2nd Lieutenant

To select multiple units, brigades and ranks, hold the ctrl or shift key on your keyboard and select your options

  • 1914–1915 Star
  • British War Medal
  • Victory Medal
  • Birth

    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

  • Enlistment - WW1

    Longreach, QLD, Australia

  • Born at Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

    Wednesday, 13 September 1893

  • Enlisted at Longreach, Queensland

    Sunday, 15 November 1914

  • Embarked at Sydney on the HMAT A34 Persic

    Sunday, 20 December 1914

  • Disembarked at Alexandria, Egypt

    Monday, 1 February 1915

  • Promoted to Corporal at Anzac, Gallipoli

    Friday, 10 December 1915

  • Promoted to Sergeant at Serapeum, Egypt

    Monday, 21 February 1916

  • Promoted to 2/Lieutenant at Hod-a-Mara

    Saturday, 22 July 1916

  • Wounded in Action (GSW head) in Battle of Bir-el-Abd

    Wednesday, 9 August 1916

  • Embarked at Suez on HMAT A11 Ascanius

    Saturday, 2 September 1916

  • Disembarked in Melbourne, Victoria

    Friday, 29 September 1916

  • AIF commission terminated in Brisbane

    Wednesday, 25 October 1916

  • Married Nesta Muriel Harkness in Brisbane

    Friday, 18 October 1918

  • served in Australian Army in World War II

    Tuesday, 16 July 1940 - Sunday, 8 November 1942

  • Passed away in Brisbane

    Thursday, 11 December 1969

Stories and comments
    • Cyril Norman Wood - 5ALHR
    • Posted by KeithMcPhee, Friday, 21 January 2022

    Cyril Norman Wood was born 1893 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and as a child lived with the family in ‘Amersham’ in Gregory Terrace, Spring Hill, Brisbane. He voluntarily enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) in November 1914 at Longreach stating his occupation was as a stockman and that he was single and aged 21 years. He was assigned to the 5th Australian Light Horse Regiment ‘A’ Squadron. That the Regiment was leaving Brisbane was not announced so, without any public send-off, the men en-trained at Newmarket, Brisbane on 12th of December 1914. They arrived at Liverpool, New South Wales two days later then on 19th of December the now complete Regiment left Liverpool for Sydney by road, stopping at Flemington that night. On the morning of 20th December 1914 the 5ALHR embarked on the HMAT A34 Persic and arrived at Alexandria, Egypt on 1st of February 1915. Here they immediately disembarked and en-trained for Cairo where they arrived the same evening. The horses were then led from Cairo Railway Station to Maadi, a distance of 10 miles (16 km) as it was not considered advisable to ride the horses after six weeks on board ship. Once in camp, training for mounted operations was commenced. The Light Horse were considered unsuitable for the initial operations at Gallipoli, but were subsequently deployed without their horses to reinforce the infantry. The 5th Light Horse Regiment landed in late May 1915 and played a defensive role for most of the campaign but was involved in several minor attacks. Trooper Wood was promoted to Lance Corporal in August and the same month was evacuated ill to Heliopolis, Egypt. He re-joined his unit Gallipoli in mid-November. He was promoted to Corporal in early December and then left Gallipoli in the evacuation on 20 December 1915. The men disembarked at Alexandria on the 25th of December 1915 and went to Maadi where the 5ALHR was reorganised and trained as a mounted unit as part of the ANZAC Mounted Division. Corporal Wood was now promoted to the rank of Temporary Sergeant and in February 1916 he was promoted to Sergeant. After a short period engaged in Suez Canal defences, the 5ALHR moved to Dueidar from where they operated from April 1916. During the next months and despite the every hot conditions, not only did the men undertake numerous long-range patrols to the east and southeast of Dueidar, they also undertook additional training, including silently moving camp at night. On 22 July 1916 Sergeant Wood was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant. In early August the 5ALHR participated in several engagements as the Turks retreated after their defeat at Romani, one of these being the Battle of Bir-el-Abd in the Sinai Desert. Here 2nd Lieutenant Wood sustained a severe head wound and fractured skull from a shell explosion. He was treated at the British-run No 26 Casualty Clearing Station before being taken by Hospital Train to Kantara from where he was admitted to the No 3 Australian General Hospital in Cairo. Here he was classed as dangerously ill and, although he recovered, his days in active duty were over. He embarked at Suez on the HMAT A11 Ascanius on 2 September 1916, arriving in Melbourne on 29 September 1916. He was assessed as unfit for active service and totally unfit for work for at least three months. As he was classed as medically unfit his AIF commission was terminated in Brisbane on 25 October 1916. In Brisbane he married Nesta Muriel Harkness on 18 October 1918. He was appointed as a Captain in the Citizen Military Forces (CMF) however, because of the effects the injury had on his health, he ceased to continue in this role in 1920. Health issues impacted on his daily life and, not only did his marriage end, he struggled to find employment. Over the years he spent times as a fruit-grower and also worked with Customs, as a commercial traveller, and as a mechanic. His personal life improved and he formed a relationship with Lilian May Giess and together they built a house in the Brisbane suburb of Newmarket. In 1939 he joined the Postmaster-General’s Department (PMG) in Brisbane and worked as a stores assistant clerk in the engineering branch. During the World War II he served at the Grovely and Redbank training camps ranked initially as a Captain then as a Major. After this he returned to the PMG from where he retired in 1957. He moved to Labrador, Queensland and in 1969 married Lilian Giess. Cyril Norman Wood passed away in December 1969.