• Maurice Christopher Wood

Army / Flying Corps
  • 41st Australian Infantry Battalion
  • 11th Brigade
  • Lieutenant

To select multiple units, brigades and ranks, hold the ctrl or shift key on your keyboard and select your options

  • British War Medal
  • Victory Medal
  • Born at Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

    Sunday, 24 January 1892

  • Enlisted at Brisbane

    Saturday, 1 January 1916

  • Married Eileen Sydney Burrell at Brisbane

    Saturday, 15 July 1916

  • Embarked at Sydney on HMAT A18 Wiltshire

    Wednesday, 7 February 1917

  • Disembarked at Devonport, England

    Wednesday, 11 April 1917

  • Promoted to Lieutenant in France

    Thursday, 22 November 1917

  • Leave in Paris, France

    Wednesday, 13 March 1918 - Wednesday, 20 March 1918

  • Leave in Paris, France

    Tuesday, 18 February 1919 - Thursday, 6 March 1919

  • Detached to 11 Brigade HQ, France

    Sunday, 9 March 1919

  • Embarked at Le Havre, France for England

    Monday, 7 April 1919

  • Embarked in England on HMAT A61 Kanowna

    Thursday, 28 August 1919

  • Appointment with AIF terminated in Brisbane

    Thursday, 4 December 1919

  • Passed away at Kenmore, Brisbane

    Monday, 21 January 1980

Stories and comments
    • Lieutenant Maurice Christopher Wood
    • Posted by KeithMcPhee, Friday, 21 January 2022

    Maurice Christopher Wood was born in Spring Hill, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia in 1892. After attending the Leichhardt Street School he started work in 1907 as a messenger in the Queensland Public Service’s Home Secretary’s Department. Away from work he was a keen gymnast and athlete. By mid-1909 he was a clerk in the Court of Petty Sessions office in Brisbane then for the following two years was a clerk with the Police Court and in 1915 he was posted to the Petty Sessions office in Kingaroy. He voluntarily enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) in January 1916 at Brisbane stating he was single and aged 24 years. He was assigned to the 41st Infantry Battalion ranked as a Sergeant. After additional training he was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in June 1916. In July 1916 he married Eileen Sydney Burrell in St Mary’s Church, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane. He embarked at Sydney, New South Wales on HMAT A18 Wiltshire on 7 February 1917, disembarking at Devonport on 11 April 1917. Here he underwent further training before joining the 41st Battalion at St Marie Cappell in Belgium in August 1917. In October he participated in the Battle of Broodseinde when the Battalion captured its objectives with little difficulty. Second Lieutenant Wood was promoted to Lieutenant in November 1917. After the Battle of Broodseinde the following five months saw the Battalion rotating between service in the rear areas and the front line. When the German Army launched its last great offensive in March 1918, the Battalion was rushed south to The Somme in France and, often subjected to heavy artillery shelling, initially successfully defended an enemy attack on a frontage from the Bray-sur-Somme - Corbie road near the River Somme in ground that was wet and very muddy. The Battalion was then in support along a line north of Sailly-le-Sec and throughout April 1917 the men were involved in constructing a good defensive system of outposts, trenches and dugouts, mostly done at night to avoid enemy activity. After 36 days in the line the Battalion moved to the outskirts of Franvillers where the men rested and, re-organised their equipment before commencing specialist training. In late May the Battalion moved to the front line in the Villers-Bretonneux area where there was intermittent artillery explosive and gas shell attacks and it was here that 'A' Company was decimated in a German gas attack. In early July the Battalion participated in the Battle of Hamel, a successful attack using combined arms tactics against German positions. After leave in the UK in August 1918, Lieutenant Wood returned to the Battalion which was still in The Somme at Sailly-Laurette. During his absence the men of the 41st Battalion had successfully adapted from trench warfare to open mobile warfare and in early September the Battalion moved to Mont Saint-Quentin as part of the Allied Hundred Days Offensive. Here, initially meeting little enemy opposition, it captured the villages of Hamel Tincourt-Boucly, Marquaix and Hamelet Marquaix before reaching Hervilly, having moved about 9 miles (14 km) in two days. What was to be the 41st Battalion's final involvement in World War I occurred between the 29th of September and the 2nd of October 1918 when they took part in the joint Australian–US operation along the St Quentin Canal. On the evening of the 2nd of October the men moved out of the line to near Aizecourt-le-Haut. After the Armistice the men moved to near Aizecourt-le-Haut and in January 1919 the men were at Saint-Maxent from where, in March 1919, they demobilisation through Le Havre. In August 1919 Lieutenant Wood embarked in England on HMAT A61 Kanowna and, after disembarking in Sydney, he entrained for Brisbane where in December 1919 his appointment with the AIF was terminated. He rejoined his wife and they lived in Melton Road in Nundah, Brisbane where they raised their two daughters. He returned to the Public Service, initially in the Land and Income Tax area of the Queensland Treasury Department and later with the Commonwealth government. When he retired in 1956 he was Assistant Deputy Commissioner (Administration) in the Queensland State Headquarters of the Australian Taxation Office. His wife Eileen passed away in 1969 and he continued to live at Nundah until 1972 when he moved to Caboolture, Queensland. He passed at Kenmore, Brisbane in January 1980.