• Hubert Mark Shield

Army / Flying Corps
  • 9th Australian Infantry Battalion
  • 3rd Brigade
  • Lieutenant

To select multiple units, brigades and ranks, hold the ctrl or shift key on your keyboard and select your options

  • British War Medal
  • Victory Medal
  • Birth

    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

  • Enlistment - WW1

    Chermside, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

  • Born at Brookfield near Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

    Sunday, 27 May 1888

  • Born at Brookfield near Brisbane,Queensland, Australia

    Sunday, 27 May 1888

  • Enlistment - WW1 at Chermside, Brisbane, Queensland

    Saturday, 17 July 1915

  • Enlistment - WW1 Chermside, Brisbane, Queensland

    Saturday, 17 July 1915

  • Embarked at Brisbane on HMAT A73 Commonwealth

    Tuesday, 29 August 1916

  • Commissioned as a Lieutenant

    Sunday, 31 December 1916

  • Joined 9th Battalion at Dernancourt, France

    Sunday, 7 January 1917

  • Killed in action near Lagnicourt-Marcel, France

    Friday, 13 April 1917

Stories and comments
    • Hubert Shield - school teacher and soldier
    • Posted by KeithMcPhee, Thursday, 2 October 2014

    Hubert Mark Shield was born on the 27th of May 1888 at Brookfield near Brisbane, the third son of seven daughters and five sons of Michael Fryar and Mary Ann (nee Makepeace) Shield. Mark, as he was known, became a school teacher and in January 1912 was appointed as the first head teacher to the Koondai-i Creek State School near Bell, Queensland. That year he undertook additional short-course development training in topics such as milk and cream testing and physical education. He was also involved in the local tennis and cricket clubs and the Bell Progress Association. When World War 1 was declared he was employed as the head teacher of the Koondai-i Creek State School. In January 1915 Mark was transferred to Kangaroo Point in Brisbane where he was also involved with the Taringa Cricket Club. Mark voluntarily enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) in at Chermside, Brisbane on the 17th of July 1915, was assigned Regimental Number 4428, and on the same day the examining medical officer considered him fit for active service. He was a natural born British subject who stated that he was 27 years and nine month of age, that his occupation was as a school teacher, and that he had no previous military experience. He had never been convicted of a crime by a civil court, he had never been discharged from military service for disciplinary reasons, nor had he ever previously been rejected as unfit for military service. After enlisting in the AIF to fight in the Great War of 1914 - 1918, he was appointed to the 9th Battalion/15th Re-enforcements. On the 5th of November 1915 he applied for a commission with the AIF. On the 22nd of November 1915 Sergeant Mark Shield was in a group of Taringa men who were presented with a farewell gift by the community. Hubert Mark Shield married Alice Jane Carstens from Dalby on the 28th of January 1916. When Mark re-Attested at Chermside on the 22nd of February 1916 he stated that he was married and listed his next of kin as his wife, Alice Jane Shield of Payne Street, Taringa near Brisbane, Queensland. He was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant on the 9th of December 1915. On the 28th of March 1916 he embarked at Pinkenba, Brisbane on the HMAT A73 Commonwealth, disembarking in Egypt and it was here that he would have undergone additional training. On the 29th of July 1916 he embarked at Alexandria on the HMT Arcadian, disembarking in Marseilles, France about a week later. From there he would have travelled by train about 800 km to northern France and it was here on the 30th of August he joined the No 1 Australian Division Base Depot at Étaples. He attended a Machine Gun School, re-joining the 1ADBD at Étaples on the 21st of September. On the 9th of November 1916 he was admitted with venereal disease - gonorrhea to the No 6 British Red Cross Hospital (also known as the Liverpool Merchants Mobile Hospital) at Étaples. The same day he was transferred to the British-run No 39 General Hospital at Le Havre then after 51 days in hospital he was discharged to duty. On the 31st of December 1916 he was commissioned as a Lieutenant. On New Year’s Day 1917 Lieutenant Mark Shield joined the No 1 Australian Division Base Depot at Étaples. On the 7th of January 1917 the 9th Battalion was at Dernancourt and Lieutenant Shield was one of 34 re-enforcements who arrived from Base. Here the men were supplying fatigues in town then on the 14th, in weather so cold that the men wore sheepskins over their uniforms, the Battalion moved (marched) the 5 miles (8 km) by road via Buire-sur-l'Ancre to near Bresle where they were in tents about ¾ mile (1.2 km) from the village. Here the weather was cold with heavy snow and by the 19th there was 6” (15 cm) of snow on the ground – however it was syllabus and musketry training regardless. On the 20th the men sat down to a belated Christmas Dinner thanks to money donated by the people of Queensland. Training (platoon drill, practice attack) continued then on the 24th the men, again wearing sheepskins over their uniforms, marched the 9½ miles (15 km) by road via Hénencourt, Millencourt and Albert to Fricourt where they were accommodated in huts. Here they supplied fatigues for two days before moving by road 4½ miles (7 km) via Contalmaison to Bazentin-le-Petit where they were again in huts. Here the men were either training or in fatigue parties. Lt Shield left the Bazentin-le-Petit on the 30th of January 1917 to attend Division School, returning on the 2nd of March to the Battalion which was in the Bendigo Camp near Bazentin le Grand. Here the men were supplying fatigues then on the 5th of March the men moved, with Lt Shield at the rear of the Battalion to collect stragglers, the 3 miles (5 km) via Contalmaison to Shelter Wood (located about a mile north of Fricourt). For the next three weeks the Battalion trained as well as supplied working parties and fatigues to Albert. On the 23rd of March they moved out of the Shelter Wood site and, marching the 11 miles (17 km) via Fricourt, Méaulte, Dernancourt, Buire-sur-l'Ancre and Laviéville, again with Lt Shield at the rear to collect stragglers, went back to Bresle. The Battalion remained training at Bresle until on the 4th in the wet and cold, it moved to the Montauban Brigade Camp at Montauban-de-Picardie where semi-circular buildings (igloos) constructed of corrugated iron were used as accommodation for the overnight stay. The next day the going was heavy as the men moved across country to Frémicourt, a distance of about 11 miles (17 km). At dusk on the evening of the 6th of April 1917 the men moved in the wet to the front line where they were mainly in outposts in the vicinity of Lagnicourt-Marcel. The next day they were in contact with the enemy on the outskirts of Quéant and over the next days undertook minor operations in weather that varied from fine to very cold to wet and with snowstorms. On the night of the 12th/13th of April 1917 near Lagnicourt-Marcel, while taking part in a minor operation, the outpost line moved forward about 400 yards in the direction of Quéant. Opposition machine gun fire was encountered and Lieutenant Shield was killed and three Other Ranks wounded. Lieutenant Mark Shield was killed in action near Lagnicourt-Marcel, France on the 13th of April 1917. He was buried near where he fell and a cross marked his grave, the location of which was registered with the Director of Graves Registration in London. However after the cessation of WWI, his body was not located and he now has no known grave. His Commanding Officer regarded him “as one of the best of his officers, a most able, gallant and genial man in all respects” and one of whom a sense of loss was experienced by many. His wife Alice said of him that he was a good all-round athlete and was very thorough in all he took on. He was also well known and highly regarded in the Bell district. Lieutenant Mark Shield spent one year eight months and 28 days (637 days) in the AIF, of which he spent one year and 17 days (382 days) abroad before his death. For his service during World War 1 he was posthumously awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. He is a brother of 6061 Albert Shield and of 17289 Edgar William Shield, both of whom returned to Australia in 1919. Lieutenant Hubert Mark Shield is commemorated at the Australian National Memorial at Villers-Bretonneux, France and also at the Australian War Memorial (Panel 57) in Canberra and on the War Memorial at Bell, Queensland.

      • MaryMcKelvie
      • Wednesday, 29 October 2014

      Thank you for this information Keith. Today, 28 October 2014 I have added the photo of my mother Alma's Uncle Mark (Hubert). Mary McKelvie (Cassidy)