• Reginald George Little

Army / Flying Corps
  • 9th Australian Field Artillery Brigade
  • 1st Australian Division Signals Company
  • 3rd Australian Field Artillery Brigade
  • Sapper
  • Private
  • Gunner
  • Driver

To select multiple units, brigades and ranks, hold the ctrl or shift key on your keyboard and select your options

  • Enlistment - WW1

    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

  • Birth

    Gympie, QLD, Australia

Stories and comments
    • Letters from the Front.
    • Posted by Cooloola, Monday, 21 November 2016

    Gympie Times and Mary River Mining Gazette (Qld. : 1868 - 1919), Saturday 19 October 1918, page 4 Mrs. G. J. Little, formerly of Wickham street, Gympie, and now re-siding at Cooroy has received a letter from her son, Private Reg Little, dated London, August 17, in which he states that he was unlucky enough to be unpleasantly near a shell which fell when the Australians were following up the German retreat from Amiens. Both legs were nastily wounded and one finger cut, but it will be only a matter of time to recover without any ill effects. One of the Aussie battalions was just about cut to pieces, but they are classed as the best troops in France. He says he thought this was rot, but now he has seen them fight, it is true. They will not give in and fight magnifi-cently. The British cavalry did very good work. In a later letter, Private Little writes that a piece of high explosive shell went through the left leg and two bits went into the right, behind the knee. The right index finger was broken and bared to the bone. Two small pieces of shell hit him on the head, one of which was still in. He was promptly attended to after being wounded. He then interestingly describes his progress from the dressing station to the hospital behind the lines and the operation which was there performed on him. Afterwards he was conveyed by train to Bou-logne, where an air raid took place soon after his arrival. Soon he was transferred to a hospital ship beautifully fitted, and he was equipped with a lifebelt, but did not like his chances if anything happened. The ship arrived safely at Dover and in due course arrived at Edmonton Hospital. Finally Private Little adds that the organisation for the treatment of the wounded is wonderful, and it only took a day and a half to reach England. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article187467209