• Neville Henry Lipscomb

Army / Flying Corps
  • 1st Australian Light Horse Field Ambulance
  • Gunner

To select multiple units, brigades and ranks, hold the ctrl or shift key on your keyboard and select your options

  • Birth

    Hornsby, NSW, Australia

  • Enlistment - WW1

    Sydney, NSW, Australia

Stories and comments
    • Service details
    • Posted by Mapping our Anzacs story, Wednesday, 20 November 2013

    Gunner Neville Henry Lipscomb, born 2nd October 1896 at Normanhurst; occupation: Student (at Hawkesbury Agricultural College)

    • Neville Henry Lipscomb
    • Posted by lipscomb, Monday, 8 August 2016

    (Gunner) Neville Henry Lipscomb was born on 2nd October 1896 at Normanhurst, the son of William and Jessie Lipscomb. He was a student at Hawkesbury Agricultural College (HAC), Richmond, when he enlisted with a contingent of fellow HAC students on 24th August 1914 in the First Light Horse Field Ambulance under the command of Major William Helsham; his regimental number was 33. After training at Queen’s Park, Waverly and then Broadmeadows, Victoria, Neville departed Melbourne in October 1914 on board the troopship Southern, bound for Egypt via Albany and Colombo; he observed the Sydney/Emden naval battle en route. Neville undertook further training in Egypt, and served as a medical orderly on hospital ships Galeko, Minnewaska, Saturnia and Clan McGillivray, evacuating wounded from Gallipoli. He landed at Gallipoli in August 1915 and served as a stretcher bearer for two weeks – notably assisting in the evacuation of wounded New Zealand troops from Chunuk Bair – until he himself was evacuated with dysentery. After a brief spell in hospital at Mudros, he was evacuated to Malta and then to England, where he was admitted to the County of London War Hospital at Epsom. On recovery he was sent back to Egypt where he immediately requested a transfer to the Artillery Corps in the expectation that such a move would be more likely to enable him to see action; he was posted to the 37th Battery at Seraphum, Egypt. In June 1916 Gunner Neville Lipscomb joined the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) at Alexandria and sailed for Marseilles on the Arcadian. After travelling north by train he moved to the Armentieres Sector and relieved 2nd Div Artillery near Bois Grenier (4 km south of Armentieres). He served at Ypres in September 1916, and moved to Bullecourt in April 1917, operating 18 pounder field guns. On 23rd April 1917 he was rendering first aid to a wounded comrade, Gunner Douglas Ferguson (from Wellington, NSW), when both were killed by artillery fire. Neville Lipscomb was 20 years old. Both soldiers are buried at the Ecoust Military Cemetery, Ecoust St Mein, France – about 16 km south-east of Arras and 10 km north-east of Bapaume.