• Clementina Hay Marshall

Army / Flying Corps
  • Australian Army Nursing Service

To select multiple units, brigades and ranks, hold the ctrl or shift key on your keyboard and select your options

  • 1914–1915 Star
  • Royal Red Cross (2nd Class) (ARRC)
  • Mentioned in Despatches (MID)
  • British War Medal
  • Victory Medal
  • Birth

    Sutherland, Scotland

  • Enlistment - WW1

    Sydney, NSW, Australia

Stories and comments
    • MARSHALL, Clementina Hay – Sister, AANS – ARRC, MID
    • Posted by FrevFord, Monday, 23 January 2017

    Born on the 22nd of April 1879 in Dornoch, Sutherland, Scotland – daughter of Thomas Wiseman MARSHALL and Margaret WILLIAMSON – who married in 1878 in West Derby, Lancashire, England Thomas, a Farmer and Bank Manager, died 31/12/1907 at his residence Colo Vale, NSW, aged 65 Margaret was residing at “Dornoch” 25 River St, Bellevue Hill, Woollahra, NSW during the war years, and died 13/8/1932 in Marrickville, aged 74 Religion: Roman Catholic / Presbyterian Siblings: Alexander (‘Sandy’) b.1881 (Butter Factory Manager) – d.1952 Bellingen; Elizabeth b.1882; Robert Williamson b.1884 (Butter Factory Manager) – d.1953 Trained in nursing at the Sydney Hospital from 1903 Sister in charge of the Operating Theatre, Sydney Hospital for 5 years Sydney Hospital 1913 Joined the Australian Army Nursing Service c1907 WW1: Embarked on HMAT A8 Argyllshire 18/10/1914, and travelled to Egypt with the First Convoy Served in Egypt with the 2nd Australian General Hospital (AGH) from Dec 1914 to April 1915 – then on the H.S. Gascon, from Apr 1915 – Sep 1915, travelling between Gallipoli, Egypt and England Detailed for duty in England 21/9/1915, embarked Port Said on the RMS Morea Served at No.3 General Hospital, Wandsworth (had been there 4 months in Mar 1916) Awarded the Royal Red Cross, 2nd Class (ARRC) in Feb 1916 To be Head Sister 1/3/1916 Detached for duty with the 1st Australian Auxiliary Hospital (AAH), Harefield 21/4/1916 Taken on Strength with the 2nd AGH, Wimereux, France 7/4/1917 French Leave 23/7/1917 Transferred to England for transport duty to Australia 18/8/1917 Returned to Australia on the Pakeha, embarking 27/8/1917 and disembarking 24/10/1917 Discharged 8/11/1917 Re-embarked 2/3/1918 on the Ormonde with No.7 Sea Transport Staff – attached to the 14th GH, Port Said for rations 2/5/1918 to the 20/5/1918 Embarked at Alexandria on Indarra 24/5/1918 for Marseilles Disembarked Southampton 7/6/1918, and attached to 2nd AAH, Southall 9/6/1918 Marched out for return to Australia 18/6/1918 Embarked in Sydney on the A7 Medic 2/11/1918 Released from quarantine 31/12/1918 and discharged from the AIF 14/1/1919 Returned to Sydney Hospital where she was Acting Matron for 6 months Resigned her position at Sydney Hospital in December 1921 to travel to Durban, South Africa, in January 1922 Appointed Matron of Auburn District Hospital in August 1922, and resigned in June 1925 Resident of Fairlawn, Campbell Pde, Bondi in 1930 Living Urunga, NSW in 1945, and 1967 when she applied for the Gallipoli Medallion Died on the 16th August 1968 at Urunga (reg. Bellingen), NSW, aged 89 Buried in the Urunga Cemetery – Row B, Plot 33 “Jack’s Journey”, p.205: Apart from their boss, British-born Matron Woolley, the nurses on the Gascon were from the Australian Army Nursing Service. They included Sisters Ella Tucker, Clementina Marshall and Elsie Gibson, and Staff Nurses Muriel Wakeford, Ethel Peters and Sophie Durham. The Gundagai Independent and Pastoral, …………(NSW), Tue 27 Jul 1915 (p.2): AT THE FRONT – A NURSE AT THE WAR Nurse Kitty Marshall, who is on the H.M.A.S. “Gascon,” doing hospital duty between the Dardanelles and Alexandria, writes to her brother, Mr A. Marshall, manager of the Gundagai Butter Factory, telling of hospital work. In course of her letter, the nurse says: – “Well, we are almost at Alexandria again, on our fourth trip, with about 500 wounded on board. We have had a very heavy trip, lasting about a fortnight. We have been operating day and night, and I am beginning to feel very weary. However, we have finished this stunt, and will have a rest for a few days until we get back again. “It is very hard for me to write a letter, and tell you things I would like to. The censorship is so strict that it leaves one practically nothing to write about. ******** Writing later, Nurse Marshall says: – “I wrote you a few days ago when we were approaching Alexandria, now we have returned, and are at the Dardanelles again, at a place called Gaba Tepe, where the Australian attack was made. There was a battleship called the Albion beached, and the Turks were plugging away at her in great style. We watched her for a long time. Then they towed her off, and she was safe. It was wonderful how the shells just missed her – they were simply falling all around her. I have some photos of it, which I will send you. “Yesterday afternoon we came down to Mudross Bay, Lemnos, to wait till we are required, as there seems to be a cessation of hostilities at the Dardanelles – waiting for reinforcements, or something. The “Sicilia,” the boat I was on first, is lying close to us. This is a safe harbor, and has a boom, that is a torpedo net, stretched across the opening to the harbor. This is open a little in the daytime, but closed at night. There is a submarine scare at present, but then there nearly always is something of the kind. I like this life very much – it is ever so much nicer than being at a base hospital, grinding away day after day. On this stunt we never have the patients more than a week at the outside, and often only for three days. Of course, I told you I have operating room, and am very pleased with it. For general hospitals two huge hotels have been taken. Mena is being retained, and Ehesireh Palace has been taken for an hospital. They have about 1,000 patients in each. It must be awfully hard work. “Got 75 sheets of paper and 50 envelopes for 1s 3d. Alexandria is an awful place to shop in. Hard to get anything you want. Many drapers, for instance never stock pins. One has to go to the milliner for pins. I don’t like Alexandria nearly so well as Cairo. I simply loved the bazaars, etc. there However, Alexandria seems more cosmopolitan, and is really much less eastern than Cairo. The Sydney Morning Herald, Fri 14 Jan 1916 (p.3): NURSE HONOURED [Photo] SISTER CLEM HAY MARSHALL Of Dornoch, River-street, Bellevue Hill Sister Marshall, who has been mentioned in despatches, is a daughter of the late Mr T.W. Marshall, of the Australian Joint Stock Bank, and was trained at the Sydney Hospital, being for several years Sister in charge of the main operating theatre at that institution. She was attached to the Australian Army Nursing Service, and left with the first expeditionary force for Egypt. Sister Marshall first went on duty at Mena House, and from there she was sent to organize the hospital at Ismalia, prior to the Turkish attack on the Suez Canal, and subsequently returned to Heliopolis. From there she went on to Mudros Bay, and witnessed the landing at Gaba Tepe on April 25, 1915. When the first batch of wounded came on board she was on duty in the operating theatre for 22 consecutive hours, for which magnificent service she was mentioned in despatches. Sister Marshall was on duty when the late General Bridges was brought on board wounded, and she continued on duty on the Gascon for five months, while this boat was conveying the wounded from Anzac to Malta and Alexandria. She then went to England, and when her last letter was received at Sydney, she was on duty at No 3 General Hospital, Wandsworth, London, but was eagerly awaiting orders to return to the front. Evening News (Sydney, NSW), Sat Apr 1916 (p.8): OUR LONDON LETTER LONDON, March 9, 1916 [Photo (with Sister M Nash), sitting on a snowball outside one of the huts at Wandsworth] …………………………………………………. Sister C.H. Marshall comes from Bellevue Hill, Woollahra, and left Sydney on October 23, 1914, for Egypt, where she nursed for four months, and then took up the arduous duties of transport nursing between the Dardanelles and Egypt for five months. She has been at Wandsworth for four months also. Both ladies are seen in this picture waiting for the enemy. http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/115845538 The Sun (Sydney, NSW), Sun 3 Jun 1917 (p.16): [Photo] Sister Clem Hay Marshall Sister Clem Hay Marshall was recently decorated with the Royal Red Cross by the King at Buckingham Palace, and afterwards received by Queen Alexandra at Marlborough House and presented with an autographed picture and book. Sister Marshall is the daughter of Mrs J.W. [sic] Marshall, of Bellevue Hill, and was formerly theatre sister at Sydney Hospital. She left with the first expeditionary Force for Egypt. Her decoration was earned on a hospital ship in the Mediterranean. The Sun (Sydney, NSW), Sun 11 Dec 1921 (p.5): PRESENTATION TO NURSE Sister Marshall, who resigned her position at the Sydney Hospital, was presented by the nursing staff with a gold wristlet watch, and by the wardsmaids with a leather cushion. Prior to going to the war she was at the Sydney Hospital for nine years. It is Sister Marshall’s intention to visit Durban, South Africa, in January. After a stay of six months she will return to Sydney. Truth (Sydney, NSW), Sun 10 May 1925 (p.8): Strange Development – Auburn Hospital Committee Did Not Hold Inquiry Doctor’s Charges Against Matron – Committee Expressed Complete Confidence in Her ………………………………………………………… The matron, Clementina Hay Marshall, a good-looking, fair, and plump young woman, then entered the box. Miss Marshall said she was trained at the Sydney Hospital, and was “theatre sister” there for five years. After six years’ war service she returned to that hospital, where she was acting-matron for six months. She was appointed matron of the Auburn District Hospital in August 1922. ……………………………………………………………………. http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/168706733 Truth (Sydney, NSW), Sun 24 May 1925 (p.12): MATRON MARSHALL’S MEMORY WON’T CARRY HER BACK Auburn Inquiry Into State Child’s Death ……………………………………………………………… http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/168707149 The Cumberland Argus and …….. (Parramatta, NSW), Fri 12 Jun 1925 (p.1): THE MATRON RESIGNS! Whole Committee Follows Suit ……………………………………………… http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/103761255 The Sun (Sydney, NSW), Sun 25 Nov 1934 (p.27): Women of Anzac ……………………………………. Yesterday was a day for returned soldiers and nurses……………. In addition to those whose records are told briefly in picture form, there were among the army nurses present, Sister Clem Marshall R.R.C., one of the best loved of all the Australian sisters who went overseas. She was on a hospital ship at Gallipoli and her service lasted from 1914 to 1916 [sic]. …………………………………………………………………….