• Leslie Vaughan

Army / Flying Corps
  • 26th Australian Infantry Battalion
  • 7th Brigade
  • Private

To select multiple units, brigades and ranks, hold the ctrl or shift key on your keyboard and select your options

  • Birth

    Bega, New South wales

  • Enlistment - WW1

    Lismore, NSW, Australia

Stories and comments
    • The Men of "A" Company, 26th Battalion
    • Posted by jaydsydaus121, Saturday, 18 January 2020

    Northern Star (Lismore, NSW : 1876 - 1954) Fri 9 Apr 1915 Page 5 OFF TO CAMP. Leslie Vaughan and J.T. Mackin, both of Casino, left yesterday for Brisbane to join the A.I.F. as infantrymen. Clarence and Richmond Examiner (Grafton, NSW : 1889 - 1915) Sat 10 Apr 1915 Page 2 The following local men have volunteered for service and left during this and last week for Enoggera, Queensland:- John and W. T. Hackett, of Pulganbar; Leslie Vaughan, of Karrahlil. Thos. Mackin, of Copmanhurst, James Sullivan, son of N. Sullivan, of Turville, left some time previously, and enlisted in Sydney. Clarence and Richmond Examiner (Grafton, NSW : 1889 - 1915) Thu 20 May 1915 Page 4 The following have been accepted at Grafton for the front:-J. T. Durrington, L. R. Sellers, M. J. Mackin, W. T. Hackett, L. Vaughan, V. G. Fuller (Gordon Brook), P. J. Maher (Harwood), J. Nichols, J. Ryan (Grafton), A. P. Boyd (Grafton), T. Plater (Maclean), P. E. Barnier, P. McGovern, A. W. Woods, A. B. Canty. Daily Examiner (Grafton, NSW : 1915 - 1954) Thu 8 Jun 1916 Page 2 Received by Mrs. T. Vaughan, Carr's Creek, from her son, Private Leslie Vaughan : "The 7th Brigade landed here over a week ago, after a very pleasant trip from Egypt to Marseilles, then three nights and two days from there to here, through the most beautiful country I have ever seen. It reminded me of the parks about Sydney. On the third night it showed heavily, and next morning the beautiful green fields were clad in white. We detrained about 11 a.m., and marched in to ———, while the snow was falling. A few bitterly cold days followed, but the weather has changed now, and the snow and ice have gone, and the days are nice and warm. This place is not far from the firing-line, and the thunder of the big guns can be heard night and day. Reg. and Tom Mackin are here too. Tom has changed into the same Battalion as Reg.; they are both well, and I see them often." Daily Examiner (Grafton, NSW : 1915 - 1954) Wed 26 Jul 1916 Page 2 Private A. P. Boyd, writing to his mother, says that he is well. The last time he wrote he was thinking of going to England for a week. He has not been able to go yet, but he hopes that his turn will come soon. He states that Tom Mackin is over in England just now. Les Vaughan, P. Barnier, and P. Boland are with him, and are all O.K. Later he might be able to write a more interesting letter, but at present they are not allowed to write much. By the time the letter reached here he guessed that the July races would be on again. He hoped that he would be able to be back for the next July races. It was over a year since he had left Australia, and he hoped that by another year he would be home again. He concludes his letter by hoping that all are well at home. Daily Examiner (Grafton, NSW : 1915 - 1954) Sat 2 Feb 1918 Page 4 Private Leslie Vaughan writes to his sister, Miss Dorothy Vaughan, from France under date 5/12/17: — "I have just received four letters from home, all of which are very welcome. I received a parcel from home the other day, also two from the Copmanhurst leagues. I am writing to thank them for their kindness in sending the parcels. Winter is setting in over here— plenty of ice about, and the ground is frozen hard every morning. I heard from Reg. to-day, he is well, and getting leave at Christmas, which he intends spending in Ireland." The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld. : 1866 - 1939) Sat 1 Mar 1919 Page 15 PER BAKARA. The 78 returned soldiers who arrived by the Bakara were warmly welcomed by a large number of relatives and soldier patients at the Kangaroo Point Hospital jetty last night. On arrival the men were provided with refreshments by the ladies of the Red Cross Kitchen. Following is a list of the soldiers who returned:— L. Vaughan, 26th Btn. The Grafton Argus and Clarence River General Advertiser (NSW : 1874 - 1875; 1879 - 1882; 1888; 1892; 1899 - 1922) Fri 28 Mar 1919 Page 2 WELCOME HOME. AT CARR'S CREEK. TWO BROTHERS HONORED. A welcome home social, under the auspices of the Carr's Creek branch of the War Chest, was held in the Carr's Creek School of Arts on Wednesday night, the attendance numbering about 200. The soldiers welcomed back were Ptes. Leslie and Reginald Vaughan, two sons of Mr. Thomas Vaughan, of Carr's Creek. The hall was gaily decorated with bunting, loaned by Messrs. Gerard and Co., a large Union Jack backing the stage with a sign, "Welcome," worked above it, this sign being centred between the battalion colors of the two returned heroes. These decorations were carried out by a voluntary committee, under the supervision of Mr. Frank White. About 9 p.m. some speeches were delivered. Mr. Sam See, the President of the War Chest, took the chair and called on Miss Dix to play "Home, Sweet Home," which that young lady very capably did. The chairman, after apologising for the unavoidable absence of Drs. Henry and Page said: We are here to welcome the Vaughan brothers, who have done their part nobly and well at the front. Pte. Leslie Vaughan enlisted in Grafton on 6th April, 1915, went to Enoggera camp and was drafted into the 26th Battalion. He left Australia on 24th May, 1915, and saw service in Egypt, Gallipoli and France. During his service in France he took part in several big battles, including Pozieres, Flers, Lagnicourt, Bullecourt and numerous smaller engagements. He was twice wounded, besides contracting severe illnesses, frost bite and jaundice while on Gallipoli, and pneumonia in England. Pvt. Reginald T. Vaughan enlisted on 9th September, 1915, and also went to Enoggera camp, where he was drafted into the 2nd Pioneer Battalion. He left Australia on 1st January, 1916, and after a short stay in Egypt went on to France. Among the big engagements he participated in were Pozieres, Mouquet (nick-named by the Aussies "Moo-cow") Farm and Flers, where he was wounded for the second time and lost the sight of one eye. After coming out of hospital he joined the Australian Flying Corps, but just prior to the armistice he was classed as medically unfit for further service. By that brief resume of their military careers one can see that these boys have played their part, and we appreciate their efforts. We say "boys," but they have played the man's part and the term "boys" is used in warm appreciation. In return for what they have done for us we can do very little, but I hope these lads, who want to go on the land, will not be kept hanging about the streets for 12 months learning bad habits. A third brother went to the war, but, I am sorry to say, was left over there. I do most heartily welcome the Vaughan brothers back home. Ald. D. McFarlane (Mayor of Grafton) expressed his pleasure at being present to welcome these young men back. The war was over, but he was sorry to say the pestilence was not, and we had a case in Grafton. True it was in gaol but it might get out, and he had just come from a joint meeting of the Grafton and South Grafton Councils which had been discussing this matter. Hence his late arrival. He congratulated the Vaughan boys on their return and conveyed a hearty welcome home from the citizens of Grafton. He had heard that both brothers had been wounded. Those wounds were trophies of which they might well feel proud: He was pleased to join in this welcome. The men of the Southern Seas had done their part in saving the world. Lieut J. K. Williams, D.C.M., said the returned soldiers were going to have a controlling influence in this country. The events of the last few days in Queensland had shown there was a class of people in Australia that must be stamped out, and they (the soldiers) were the people who were going to stamp it out. There were speakers in the Sydney Domain who must be stopped for they are poisoning the minds of young and old. They (the soldiers) recognised that they had to attach themselves to the people who attached themselves to them during the war. On behalf of the Grafton sub-branch of the Returned Sailors and Soldiers' Imperial League, of which he had the honor to be president, he had much pleasure in welcoming back the brothers Vaughan. Mr. D. J . Lobban, in a characteristic speech, full of admiration for the work of our soldiers, welcomed back these fine boys and paid a tribute to the memory of the brave young brother who would never come back. Sgt. T. Willan also expressed his pleasure at being present to help in welcoming home these lads. He was sure it was the Australians who had driven the Huns back. Mr. J. A. Puddicombe thanked the promoters of the gathering for the invitation to be present. He was pleased to be there, not only to help welcome back these two fine young Australians, but also to hear Lieut. Williams' statement that the soldiers intended to stick to the people who had stuck to them, and he could assure Lieut. William's that that meant that the soldiers had to stick to Carr's Creek for he knew of no place in the Commonwealth that, pro rata for its population, had done more work and raised more money to help the soldiers than had Carr's Creek. He not only welcomed back the brothers Vaughan, but also congratulated their parents in getting back two out of their three sons they had offered to the Empire, and he also congratulated Carr's Creek on the advent amongst them of such a fine family as the Vaughans. He felt that the soldiers, in organising themselves under proper officers of their own selection, were on the right track. This great country had immense possibilities, but these could only be developed under decent Government, and he was glad the soldiers were going to stand on the right side. Chairman See, on behalf of the War Chest, then presented each of the brothers with a gold medal, bearing his battalion colors and suitably inscribed. He expressed the hope that the boys would long be spared to wear the medal and that they would be able to hand them down to their sons as heirlooms. At the call of Mr. Lobban, the company sang "They are Jolly Good Fellows," after which cheers were given for Mr. and Mrs. Vaughan, the parents of the boys. Both Ptes. Les and Reg. Vaughan returned thanks for the warmth of their welcome and for the presentations. Mr. Vaughan, senior, was also called upon and rose but found he was unable to express himself and asked Mr. See to speak for him. This the chairman did in fitting and heart-felt terms. This portion of the function was terminated by the singing of the National Anthem, and after refreshments had been served, dancing was resumed. During the evening songs were rendered by Mrs. Hedges and Mr. Hy. Brown. A silver-mounted umbrella, donated by Mr . W . F . Blood . to the Carr's Creek Medal Fund, was won by Mr. T. S. Baker. Daily Examiner (Grafton, NSW : 1915 - 1954) Wed 2 Apr 1919 Page 4 CARR'S CREEK SCHOOL On Tuesday morning, Private. L. Vaughan, an Anzac, 26th Battalion A.I.F., addressed the pupils and teacher of the school. He described the original landing. The British fleet had bombarded the place in March and awoke the Turks to the fact that an attack was coming. Gallipoli was a blunder, but a glorious blunder. The valor of our Australian boys should be an inspiration to the people, who through this valor had earned the right to world-wide citizenship. He was not at the landing, but on his arrival the men were worn to skeletons. Water was short (there was not sufficient spare water for shaving), bread was received twice a week, and vermin of all kinds were in evidence. Disease broke out. When Lord Kitchener came and inspected he saw the place was untenable — hence the evacuation. Stores and guns were destroyed before leaving. The landing was in the wrong spot. The mistake was caused by the darkness, but many lives were saved because of the mistake. The French landed on the Asiatic side, so as to confuse the Turks. On April 26 the French landed, at Cape Helles. The British fleet tried in vain to force a passage through the Dardanelles. Other armies have tried to land on Gallipoli, but the Australians were the first to do so. He never knew of the Turk firing on the Red Cross- — considered him a fair fighter. On one occasion the Australians had a hospital near to some ammunition dumps, and the Turks sent a message that unless one or other was removed the place would be shelled. No notice was taken and the next day the hospital was blown up by the Turks. The bursting of shells on the hillsides was a magnificent sight. But for the warships they could not have gained a footing or held on so long as they did. The Turks had disappearing guns on the hillsides both on the right and left of Anzac Beach. The Australians established themselves from 300 yards to 1000 yards inland. The troops were shelled every day. Food was conveyed by mule pack, the mules being driven by Indians, and at times shells caused a scatter among them. He considered the Arab working parties very poor class of men, and a very dirty race of people. Gallipoli fighting was very different to fighting in France. In France, only when shell fire was bad was food kept back. Gallipoli shell fire was nothing to the shell fire in France. The mud of France had to be experienced to be known. The blizzards were most unpleasant, and caused many frostbites. He had seen a man's frostbitten finger snapped off as easily as a carrot is broken. Jaundice was a prevalent and painful trouble. At times the boys tried to spring April Fool Day jokes on their mates. In reply to questions, the boys were shown how the wounded were carried in the trenches by one or more men. The stunted scrub of Gallipoli was explained with the crop of oats in the hollows between the hills; also the dugouts, 40 or more feet underground. In reply, to further questions, the speaker explained how raids in No Man's Land were carried out. He with five others, on returning from one of these raids, found seven instead of six men and immediately imprisoned a German who had joined them in error. Patrol work was very dangerous. In France the lines were constantly shelled or bombed. They were allowed to remove boots and equipment for one hour daily. In France, in the lines, they received their meals (two) each night instead of in the daytime. It was not dark in summertime until 11 p.m. The Australians deserved all the praise they received. A battalion in full marching order (801b.) could advance 20 miles a day quite easily. Water-bottles had to be filled overnight in case they were forgotten in the morning. During big battles it often happened that wounded men took shelter in isolated shellholes, and were compelled to stay there for days before being found. In many instances they had to steal out at nighttime to obtain the rations of their dead comrades to keep them alive. A vote of thanks, moved by Tom Barnier, seconded by Joe Johnson, was carried by acclamation. The teacher also returned thanks, and Pte. Vaughan suitably replied. The Northern Champion (Taree, NSW : 1913 - 1954) Sat 7 Jun 1930 Page 4 OBITUARY MRS. ELIZABETH ANN VAUGHAN As briefly mentioned in our last issue, the death occurred on Monday afternoon at her home at Cundle Plains of Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Vaughan, wife of Mr. Thomas Vaughan. The late Mrs Vaughan underwent an operation in the Mayo hospital at the end of December, but her condition gradually became worse until she passed away. The late Mrs. Vaughan was 63 years of age and was, born at Woollumbla, on the South Coast. She resided at this centre, until after her marriage, and, after residing at a number of centres on the South Coast, the family moved to Ulmarra, on the Clarence, where they occupied a farm. Some 6 years ago they settled at Ghinni, and after residing here for a couple of years they made their home on Cundle Plains. In addition to the bereaved husband, the following children are left to mourn the loss of a good mother: Mrs. Prior, of Cundletown, Mr. Leslie Vaughan (of Ulmarra), Messrs' Reg and John Vaughan, and Miss Kitty Vaughan (all at home). Messrs. Leslie and Reg Vaughan saw active service in the Great War, and another brother, Arthur, was killed at the front. Another son died in infancy. The remains were interred in the Dawson cemetery on Tuesday afternoon, in the presence of many sympathetic friends. Rev. Walter Latham conducted the last sad rites and Mr. W. T. Howard had charge of the funeral arrangements. Daily Examiner (Grafton, NSW : 1915 - 1954) Sat 17 Mar 1945 Page 2 MR.LESLIE VAUGHAN, ULMARRA. Mr. Leslie Vaughan, aged 52, died at Grafton Base Hospital yesterday after a long illness. He was a member of Ulmarra Municipal Council, on which he had served for several periods. He was a returned soldier of the last war, a member Ulmarra sub-ranch of the R.S.S. and A.I.L.A. and president of Gillett's Ridge Parents and Citizens Association, and took a keen interest generally in the public life of his district. He is survived by a widow and two sons, Brian (15) and Noel (11). The funeral will move from St. Paul's Church of England, Ulmarra, at 2 p.m. to-day, after a service, for the Ulmarra cemetery. Daily Examiner (Grafton, NSW : 1915 - 1954) Tue 8 May 1945 Page 6 RE WILL of LESLIE VAUGHAN late of Ulmarra Farmer deceased. Probate granted by Supreme Court of New South Wales on 27th April 1945. Pursuant to the Wills Probate and Administration Act 1938/1940 Testator's Family Maintenance and Guardianship of Infants Act 1916/1938 and Trustee Act 1925/1942 SARAH LOUISA VAUGHAN the Sole Executrix of the Will of the said Leslie Vaughan who died on 16th March 1945 hereby gives notice that all creditors and others having any claim against or to the estate of the said deceased are required to send particulars of their claims, to the said Executrix in care of the undersigned David John Lobban at his address hereinafter mention on or before the 21st. July next at the expiration of which time the said Executrix will distribute the assets of the deceased to the persons entitled having regard only to the claims of which she then has notice. DATED this 7th. day of May A.D. 1945. DAVID JOHN LOBBAN. Proctor for the Executrix, A.M.P. Chambers, GRAFTON. By his Agents: — Clayton Utz and Company. Solicitors, 136 Liverpool Street, Sydney.