• Leonora Allender

Army / Flying Corps
  • Other
  • Australian Army Nursing Service

To select multiple units, brigades and ranks, hold the ctrl or shift key on your keyboard and select your options

  • 1914–1915 Star
  • British War Medal
  • Victory Medal
  • Birth

    Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

Stories and comments
    • ALLENDER, Leonora Millie – Sister, Serb RC / Sister, QAIMNSR / Staff Nurse, AANS
    • Posted by FrevFord, Tuesday, 23 May 2017

    Born on the 19th June 1881 at Ballarat East, Vic – daughter of John ALLENDER and Mary Ann TURNER – who married on the 17/12/1868 at Soldiers’ Hill, Ballarat John, a retired Tailor of independent means, was living with his son Henry at the beginning of the war, and died at Cheltenham in 1926, aged 82 While Mary resided at “Yerton,” The Ridge, Canterbury, and died in 1934 at Coburg, aged 85 Siblings: John Francis Sam b.1/3/1870 Soldiers’ Hill; *Henry Frederick b.1871 – marr Angelina (Annie) TREWIN 1904 – WW1: Pte 5784, 21st Bn – d.2/6/1944 at his daughter’s residence in Northcote; Mary b.1873; Arthur Thomas b.1876 – d.1937; Florence Hannah b.1877 – marr Hy SMITH 1906 – d.1960; Evelyn Wendouree b.20/6/1879 – d.1/1/1881, age 18mths; *Leonard Eardington b.1890 Ballarat – WW1: Gnr 6835 (MSM), 4th FAB – d.1968 Maldon Religion: Church of England Educated at the Church of England Girls’ Grammar School and Queen’s College, Ballarat – matriculated in 1897 (Melb Uni) Trained in nursing at Melbourne General Hospital 1902 to 1905 – leaving in December 1905 to take up private nursing until 1906 Member of the Royal Victorian Trained Nurses Association (R.V.T.N.A.) – holding a Special Certificate for Infectious Diseases Returned to Melbourne Hospital as a Staff Sister 1909 to 1911 During this time she held positions as Sister-in-charge of the Casualty Rooms, also the Out-Patients Department, and Summer Theatre Acting Matron of Coroke Hospital 1911 Theatre and Gynaecology Sister at the Womens’ Hospital, Melbourne 1912 Ran her own Private Nursing Home in Domain Rd, Sth Yarra 1912 to 1914 WW1 Service: Making her own way to England to join the war effort, Leonora embarked at Melbourne 30/9/1914 on the Otway, arriving London 7/11/1914 She served for 3 months in 1915 as a member of the Montenegrin Unit (2) with the Serbian Red Cross, nursing wounded and typhoid patients at Gevugeli, Nish and Uskub, before returning to London late in April Joining Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve (QAIMNSR) on the 16/5/1915 she was posted to Malta, and also served on the hospital ship Devanha, servicing the Gallipoli campaign On the 5/10/1915 she was posted to St Andrew’s Military Hospital, Malta, where she was still serving in April 1916 when she requested her resignation be accepted at the completion of her contract on the 16/5/1916 The Matron of the hospital noted that “She is a very good nurse and has performed her duties satisfactorily and conduct good.” Back in England she was booked on the Osterley to depart for Australia on the 28/7/1916, but instead re-enlisted with the QAIMNSR for a further six months on the 15/7/1916, and was posted to the Guildford War Hospital Four months later on the 14/11/1916, she resigned once more in order to return to Australia Mentioned in despatches (MID) Arriving back in Melbourne in April 1917, she then joined the Australian Army Nursing Service (AANS) and served at No. 5 AGH, before being accepted for overseas service on the 26/4/1917. Embarking in Sydney 9/5/1917 on the A38 Ulysses, she disembarked at Plymouth, England 29/7/1917, where she reported to the Admin HQ, London, and was accommodated at the Hotel York Posted for duty to Croydon War Hospital 11/8/1917, then transferred to the 1st Australian Auxiliary Hospital (AAH), Harefield on the 7/8/1917, and then to the 2nd AAH at Southall 29/11/1917 On the 8/1/1918 she was sent to St Albans with an illness Admitted to 12 Southwell Gardens 13/6/1918 with a growth on her left breast, and discharged 25/6/1918 to St Albans – having been operated on and the growth removed by Captain Newton Returned to the 2nd AAH for duty 11/7/1918 Invalided home, she returned to Australia on the D17 Malta, embarking 31/7/1918 and disembarking at Melbourne on the 28/9/1918 Discharged 8/3/1919 Following her return home, Leonora was living at “Wymera,” 1313 Mair St, Ballarat during 1919, whilst a student at the Ballarat School of Mines, where she studied and passed Elementary and Advanced Typewriting. Living with her mother at 31 Highfield Rd, Canterbury in 1922, 1925 In 1925 she travelled to England on the Persic, arriving Southampton 19/6/1925 – giving her address whilst there as Finchcroft, Prestbury, Gloucestershire – returning home on the Suevic, departing Liverpool 13/2/1926 She travelled to England again in 1927, on the Ulysses, together with 10 year old Patricia Ireland the daughter of Captain T.R. Ireland, arriving Liverpool 11/6/1927 – address: The Harbour, Rhosneigr, Anglesey Married widower, Thomas Raymond IRELAND in the Jul-Sept Qtr 1927 at Liverpool, Lancashire, England Step-daughter (1): Nora Patricia b.c1917 – engaged to Robert MALDEN 1947 Born in England in 1880, Thomas was an employee of the Blue Funnel Line from 1905, and the chief officer of the troopship A38 Ulysses during WW1, until taking command of his own ship at the beginning of 1918 He first married Constance Eleanor ASCROFT in 1915 in Sydney Appointed Captain of the Centaur in 1933, operating on the North-West service The family were resident of 3 Tyrell St, Nedlands, WA in March 1934 and July 1935 when Leonora registered her car – a Vauxhall Thomas transferred from the Centaur to the Charon (on the Fremantle to Singapore run) in February 1937, before retiring in December 1938 – the family moving to Point Lonsdale, Vic. He died just over 2 years later following an operation on the 5/3/1941 at Geelong – and was cremated at Fawkner Crematorium Leonora was living at Central Rd, Pt Lonsdale in 1942 (with Nora Patricia), 1947 Formed a business partnership with her brother Leonard at “Rossley Vale,” near Whittlesea, farming under the name of “Allender and Ireland” – which was dissolved in October 1946 Living Nantes St, Corio by herself in 1954 Died a week before her 78th birthday in June 1959 at Geelong Cremated and her ashes interred in the Fawkner Cemetery (Garden of Remembrance 1) 13/6/1959 The Ballarat Star (Vic), Sat 23 Sept 1899 (p.2): At the examination recently held in Ballarat by the Associated Board of the Royal Academy of Music and Royal College of Music, the following candidates were successful in passing: – Misses Leonora Allender, …………………………………………… British Journal of Nursing 23 Jan 1915: Joint War Committee The following nurses have been deputed to duty abroad: Montenegrin Unit (1) – Miss H. Rawlings, Miss E.A. Trebilcock Montenegrin Unit (2) – (Mrs Reid’s), Miss L.A. Allender [sic] Cairns Post, Tue 23 Mar 1915 (p.3): OUR LONDON LETTER LONDON, February 4 AUSTRALIAN IN SERBIA The Servian Red Cross Society has been making urgent appeals to nurses and doctors in England. Cholera and small-pox are raging in the battle areas, and the hospital arrangements and equipment are hopelessly inadequate to the needs of the situation. Wounded arriving in Nisch and the hospital towns have frequently not had even first aid and treatment, and, when they have had that, their wounds have not been dressed for days, and are in a frightfully septic condition. The authorities do not disguise the difficulties and dangers of nursing in Serbia. They are not able to offer nurses who volunteer for services even half as good salaries as are obtained under British and French Red Cross auspices. But detachments of nurses have been leaving England for Servian hospital camps all the week. Miss Leonora Allender, a sister of the Melbourne hospital, is an Australian nurse, who has this week gone to undertake duties with the Servian Red Cross. She is to represent the “Nursing Times” in Serbia, and will contribute articles to that journal. Barrier Miner (Broken Hill, NSW), Tue 8 Jun 1915 (p.3): AN AUSTRALIAN NURSE IN SERVIA SISTER ALLENDER’S EXPERIENCES WITH TYPHUS Sister L. Allender, formerly of the Melbourne Hospital, returned to London late in April from Servia, where she has had unique experience as a nurse of the Servian Red Cross among the wounded and typhus-stricken soldiers. Both on her way eastward and on the return journey she had opportunities of seeing the splendid organisation of the Australian Hospital at Boulogne, and the contrast she draws between the conditions there and in the Servian hospitals is very striking. Recounting some of her experiences to a “British-Australasian” representative, Miss Allender, said that her first insight into Servian hospital work was obtained at Gevugeli, on the Greek frontier, the hospital building being a tobacco factory in which were hundreds of patients huddled together, many of them bedless, still wearing the clothes in which they had been brought from the battlefields and the interment camps, and almost without any attention whatever. Among them were lying some of the dead, and the wounded men and typhus patients were not kept separate in any way. “This hospital, which was as far removed from the actual war area as any in Servia, was run by an American staff, but several of the doctors and nurses were down with typhus themselves. The patients were mostly Serbs, but there were also some Austrian prisoners. There were only three or four nurses to look after 700 patients, and, of course, it was quite impossible under the conditions to make even a pretence of adequate nursing. All that this hospital afforded, practically, was a covering for the men’s heads. “I had been ordered up to Nish, to No.2 Reserve, under the Servian Red Cross, my work being in a barracks building which had been converted into a hospital for wounded soldiers. At this place there was plenty of room, there being accommodation for 1800 patients, and only 900 there at the time of which I speak. But I was the one trained nurse at the place, and with me was one other woman, a volunteer aid worker, without nursing credentials. It was quite out of the question to nurse the cases. The trained staff had left the hospital, and the work of the wards was being done by Austrian prisoners acting as orderlies. Most of the surgeons and dressers were Austrian prisoners, also, but the doctors included Servians, Russians, and French. This hospital was supposed to be for wounded only, but we found that a portion had been set apart for typhus cases, of which a number developed among the wounded patients. Sometimes we would take a patient down to the operating theatre, and only there discover that he had the typhus rash. This in itself would be a fruitful source of infection. “In Nish, an inconceivably dirty and insanitary place, there were at that time 120,000 people, chiefly refugees from Belgrade and Kageovatz, and as the normal population is between 30,000 and 40,000, the bulk of the newcomers had to herd under the most squalid conditions in the park. The presence of typhus in the houses was indicated by black flags; they were flown from every second or third house. “I was sent down to Uskub after a few weeks in Nish, as the staff of the British Red Cross unit there had contracted typhus, and a nurse was needed. Three doctors and five orderlies were down with it. Three of the orderlies died, and two of the doctors are making very unsatisfactory recoveries. One of these is an Australian, Dr Benbow Palmer, of Ararat, Victoria, who, I was told, had done some very fine work at Uskub. In this hospital I only saw the work among the patients in general during the last few days of my stay at Uskub. It consisted chiefly, so far as the English staff was concerned, of walking the wards and ordering the Austrian prisoner orderlies to do whatever had to be done. “The trouble is that nearly all the units doing hospital work in Servia went there for surgical work. They are equipped for that only, and are staffed by surgeons. We went there for field ambulance duties, but in the end turned our attention to the typhus, a step which was also taken by Lady Paget’s unit and the Scottish unit. But all of us have sadly lacked the medical requisites for this work. “The work of grappling with typhus has been a wonderful experience for me, but it has been very heart-breaking. Conditions were all against us in every way. The authorities, who did their best for us, found the accommodation, but immediately dumped more patients into the buildings than they had any room for and, of course, the nursing and medical personnel throughout Servia is entirely inadequate for requirements. “I do wish the typhus could be treated under decent conditions. I am quite certain that something could be done in the direction of discovering a serum with which to treat it. Up to the present, however, they have not even definitely determined the source of the infection though the generally accepted idea is that the inoculation is through vermin. “On my way back to London the authorities of the Australian Hospital at Boulogne were good enough to let me stay there for a couple of days. I had visited the A.V.H. on two occasions before. Oh, it was a delight to see the conditions there after my experiences in Servia, the place was a paradise by comparison. It seems to me perfectly equipped, splendidly run, and spotlessly clean. If they could only have a dozen hospitals like that in Serbia! It has been a very wonderful experience to try and grapple with typhus, but I do hope the efforts now being made over here to raise proper equipments will be successful – they are so absolutely necessary.” The Daily News (Perth, WA), Fri 2 Jul 1915 (p.3): Mainly About People The “British Australasian” says that Sister Leonora Allender, of Melbourne, who recently returned to London from Serbia, after a number of interesting experiences in military hospitals, at Nisch and Uskub, as a member of the Serbian Red Cross, has now gone on service under the British War Office, and left last month for Malta, where many of the Australian and English wounded from the Dardanelles are being nursed. A couple of days before leaving London again, Sister Allender was the recipient of the Serbian war medal in recognition of her Red Cross services. The Ballarat Star (Vic), Fri 17 Dec 1915 (p.2): CHURCH OF ENGLAND GIRLS’ GRAMMAR SCHOOL We cannot get the names of all our Old Girls at the front, but interesting letters are printed in the M.A.G. from Nurse Zichy-Woinarski, Miss Alice Allanby and Sister Allender. The latter was honored by a decoration bestowed upon her by the King of Servia, in recognition of her work amongst the typhus stricken inhabitants of that country. The Sun (Sydney, NSW), Sun 9 Jan 1916 (p.16): WOMAN’S CROWNING GLORY Sister Leonora Allender, who was recently in England from the Dardanelles as one of the nursing staff in charge of a ship-load of wounded Australians, has returned to Malta, where she is now located at the St Andrew’s Military Hospital. Stawell News and Pleasant Creek Chronicle (Vic), Sat 29 Jan 1916 (p.3): LADIES’ COLUMN Among the many Australians who have made names for themselves at the front it is pleasing to note that some have grown up in towns so close to us as Ballarat. On the outbreak of the war Sister Lionara [sic] Allender gave up the private hospital in Domain Road, South Yarra, and went home at her own expense and offered her services to the war office. She spent some time in London and North of France at Hospital work, and early in 1915 went to Serbia and nursed with the British Red Cross in the typhus stricken districts at Uskurb and Skopie Hospitals, when she was often the only trained nurse available, and the death rate was 200 a day. Eventually she was compelled to devote all her attention to the saving of lives of doctors and nurses attacked by typhus. She was successful in most cases, and her splendid work received special recognition from the King of Serbia, who conferred a decoration on her. Returning to England to recuperate, she was appointed to one of the landing hospitals at Malta, and then on the hospital ships bringing wounded from the Dardanelles to Alexandria. She was attached to the boat that received the first batch of wounded from the Suvla Bay landing, and among the many she attended at the front was Sergt. Dunstan, V.C., of Ballarat. [William Dunstan was evacuated wounded from Gallipoli 9/8/1915 on the Devanha – to Egypt] Weekly Times (Melb, Vic), Sat 8 Jul 1916 (p.10): On Active Service There is a number of Australian nurses here on leave from France just now (writes our London Office, May 18). …………………………………………………………… Sister Allender, also of Melbourne, back here from Malta, is retiring from the service, and will leave for Melbourne in July. The Ballarat Courier (Vic), Tue 17 Apr 1917 (p.2): As a member of the committee of the Mechanics’ Institute, Dr Hardy attended a meeting of that body last night, and was heartily welcomed on his return from the Front ………………………………… Speaking of A.M.C. work, he said he heard glowing accounts of the typhus work performed in Servia by Sister Allender, a daughter of one of our late citizens, Mr Allender, tailor, of Sturt street. Weekly Times (Melb, Vic), Sat 21 Apr 1917 (p.10): GENERAL NOTES Military Nurse Returns After varied and interesting experiences of life on active service, Miss L. Allender, a military nurse, returned to Melbourne on Thursday. When war nurses were needed she joined the Queen Alexandra Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve, and volunteered for Serbia. She reached Nish at a time when typhus was raging, and increasing the death toll at a terrific rate. Frequently piles of bodies were allowed to accumulate because those in charge of the burial grounds could not cope with the task that awaited them each day. Miss Allender and a woman orderly were the only British women attached to the Serbian Army Medical Corps, which comprised men and women doctors from Russia, France, Albania, and other countries. Generally speaking, food was not scarce, and poultry was always available, as good fowls could be secured for 4d each. Tea was classed as one of the luxuries, and could not be obtained at less than 26/ a pound. Butter was not included in the daily menu, and brown or black bread was substituted for the white variety. Later Miss Allender spent 12 months in a hospital ship in the Mediterranean, and was attached to the nursing unit that ministered to the needs of the wounded soldiers returning from Gallipoli. Prior to her return to Australia, Miss Allender held a responsible position at one of the clearing hospitals in London. She is a trainee of the Melbourne Hospital, and was a sister there for some time. The Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 25 Apr 1917 (p.5): Miss L Allender, a military nurse, returned to Melbourne last week after varied and interesting experiences of life on active service. When war nurses were needed Miss Allender joined the Queen Alexandra Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve, and volunteered for Servia. She reached Nish at a time when typhus was raging. Miss Allender and a woman orderly were the only British women attached to the Servian Army Medical Corps, which comprised men and women doctors from Russia, France, Albania, and other countries. This lady is a trainee of the Melbourne Hospital, and was a sister there for some time. Weekly Times (Melb, Vic), Sat 28 Apr 1917 (p.9): GENERAL NOTES The Call of Duty With the patriotic devotion that seems to be characteristic of the majority of military nurses, Miss L. Allender has resolved to resume duty. She returned to Australia two weeks ago, after a long experience of active service as an Imperial nursing sister. Since her return she has joined the Australian army nursing corps, and is at present on the base hospital staff. Miss Allender expects to go soon on active service. Matron’s monthly report for June 1918, 2AAH: Sister Allender, operated on by Captain Newton, for removal of nodule from breast is also still absent. The Ballarat Star (Vic), Mon 16 Dec 1918 (p.3): WELCOME HOME DINNER TO RETURNED SOLDIERS About 50 returned soldiers and two or three nurses who have seen active service participated in the dinner given at the City Hall on Saturday evening by the ladies’ welcome home committee. …… …………………………………………………………….. Major S. Tucker, and Sister Allender (who wears a Serbian distinction for her work in Serbia in connection with the war), were at the head table. ………………………………………………………….. http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/154787969 Glen Innes Examiner (NSW), Thur 20 Apr 1939 (p.3): SEA CAPTAINS MEET AGAIN Twenty-four years ago when the troopship Ulysses crossed the Great Australian Bight, Thomas R. Ireland and W.B. Ewen were first and second officer respectively. Recently they crossed the Bight again in Automedon, both captains. But Captain Ireland had retired, and was only a passenger, while Captain Ewen was master of the ship. Because of the troublous times in which they sailed together so many years ago, their talk naturally was of the Great War and of the fears of an ever greater war. But Captain Ireland has no worries about the position. After 33 years’ service with the Blue Funnel Line the last six of which were spent in the Centaur and the Charon, trading between Western Australia and the East, he has retired. He is building a home at Point Lonsdale, where he and his wife, formerly Miss Allender, of the Royal Melbourne Hospital, and a war sister, plan to end their days. His home at West Hardepool, on the north-east coast of England, is right in the path of raiding aeroplanes from Europe. During the Great War shrapnel from German warships Derfinger and Seidlitz landed in the garden of his home. The Argus (Melb, Vic), Fri 7 Mar 1941 (p.5): Obituary CAPTAIN T. IRELAND The death occurred at Geelong of Captain Thomas Ireland, who since his retirement from active service with the Blue Funnel Line of Steamers had lived at Point Lonsdale. Captain Ireland was born at Oldham, Lancashire, 60 years ago, and after serving his apprenticeship in sailing-ships, he became associated with the steamer trade, and had long service with the Blue Funnel Line until his retirement in 1939. His last command was the motor-ship Charon, and he will doubtless be remembered by many who have made the voyage to the East in that vessel. Captain Ireland served on several courts of marine inquiry as an assessor. He has left a widow and a daughter of a former marriage. The Argus (Melb, Vic), Wed 30 Oct 1946 (p.17): Advertising NOTICE is hereby given, that the PARTNERSHIP heretofore subsisting between Leonora Millie Ireland and Leonard Eardington Allender, carrying on a business as farmers at “Rossley Vale,” near Whittlesea, in Victoria, under the style or firm of “Allender & Ireland,” has been DISSOLVED by mutual consent as from the first day of July, one thousand nine hundred and forty-six. All debts due to and owing by the said late firm will be received and paid respectively by Leonard Eardington Allender, who will continue to carry on the business on his own account. Dated this 28th day of October, one thousand nine hundred and forty-six. L.M. IRELAND L.E. ALLENDER The Argus (Melb, Vic), Sat 22 Nov 1947 (p.10): Engagements announced IRELAND – MALDEN – Robert, only son of Mr and Mrs J.J. Malden, Sunderland, Whelarra (W.A.), and Patricia, only child of the late Captain T.R. Ireland and Mrs L.M. Ireland, of Point Lonsdale, Victoria. Notes: Gave her date of birth in QA SR as 1882 – it was registered in 1881 (reg.21149)