• Fortescue Leo Ash

Army / Flying Corps
  • Chaplain (C.E.)

To select multiple units, brigades and ranks, hold the ctrl or shift key on your keyboard and select your options

  • Enlistment - WW1

    Mackay QLD, Australia

  • Birth

    Singleton, NSW, Australia

Stories and comments
    • Posted by gravesecrets, Monday, 12 October 2015

    The Rev. Fortescue Ash, who, on Saturday, accepted the bishopric of Rockhampton, graduated at Sydney University from St. Paul's College, and subsequently took a Divinity course at St John's College, Armidale. The Rev. Fortescue Ash, who Is a brother of Dr. Percy A. Ash, of Turramurra, and of Mr. G. W. Ash, solicitor, of Sydney, was ordained at St. Andrew'a Cathedral as deacon In 1909, and as priest in 1910. During this time he acted as curate to the Rev. H. J.Rose, of Strathfield. He went to England early In 1911, and was engaged In slum work for nearly four years. Returning to Australia at the invitation ofthe Bishop of North Queensland (Dr.Feetham), he waa appointed first as rector of Ravenswood, and subsequently as rector of Bowen. He left Bowen to go to the war as chaplain. On his return from the war, he went to Mackay, and while there was appointed a canon of St. John's Cathedral, Townsville. He accepted the Incumbency of Warwick early this year. In 1919, the Rev. Fortesque Ash married a daughter of the late Mr. James Page, of Etonvllle Station, Queensland, and of Mrs.Page, who at present resides at Greenwich, and has three children. The Sydney Morning Herald Monday 05 September 1927 page 12

    • Bishop of Rockhampton Married In Chapel at Bishopsbourne Ash — Watts Ceremony
    • Posted by gravesecrets, Monday, 12 October 2015

    In the picturesque chapel at Bishopsbourne at 8 o'clock this morning, Archbishop Wand officiated at the marriage of the Bishop of Rockhampton, the Right Rev. Fortescue Leo Ash, to Mrs.Christian Jean De Gifford Wade Watts, of Jarvisfield, Winton. Mr. Maurice Barton, Moolboolaman Station, Gin Gin, gave the bride away, and she wore an ensemble of dragon fly blue chusa crepe. The bodice of the frock was soutached in a leaf design finished with tiny French beading and the pleated skirt repeated similar trimmimg. On the shoulder line of the full length coat a posy of orchids was added. Her accessories were of navy, blue. The bride is the youngest daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Nugent Wade Broun, of Haddington, Sandgate, and formerly of Ban Ban, Gayndah, and the bridegroom is the youngest son of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Ash, of Sydney. There were no attendants. Vases filled with chrysanthemums in shades of golden yellow, white and plum were arranged on the altar, and large bowls of similar blooms were placed on either side of the aisle. Chrysanthemums were also placed on the window ledges. Rev. V. H. Whitchouse presided at the organ. Following the ceremony, guests were entertained, at a morning- tea party at Rowe s. Miss Leila Wade Broun (sister of the bride), who was hostess, chose an airway blue and white printed frock with a matching short coat and a navy sailor hat . Bishop and Mrs. Ash leave by plane this afternoon for Sydney, where the honeymoon will be spent at Bishopsbourne this morning. The Telegraph Wednesday 23 April 1941 page 11

    • Death of Bishop ASH
    • Posted by gravesecrets, Monday, 12 October 2015

    SYDNEY, April 22-The Rt. Rev Fortescue Leo Ash former Bishop of Rockhampton and Commissioner of the Church of England's Australian Board of Missions Centenary War Memorial Appeal, died suddenly at his Strathfield Sydney home today, aged 73. At the time of his death he was acting Rector of St Anne's Church, Strathfield, the church to which he was appointed In his first curacy as a young man. He was at one time Rector of Warwick (Queensland) and was appointed Bishop of Rockhampton in 1938. In 1946, after he had resigned as Bishop of Rockhampton he was appointed Commissioner of the Centenary War Memorial Appeal with the task of raising £100,000 and enlisting 50 new missionaries for church work in New Guinea. In the six yeas he acted as commissioner, he travelled extensively throughout Australia, Tasmania and New Guinea and suceedded in raising considerably more than the target of £100,000 and many more missionaries than the 50 sought. The Central Queensland Herald Thursday 26 April 1956 page 17