• Leon Jean Louis Briand

Army / Flying Corps
  • 16th Australian Infantry Battalion
  • Corporal

To select multiple units, brigades and ranks, hold the ctrl or shift key on your keyboard and select your options

  • Military Medal (MM)
  • 1914–1915 Star
  • British War Medal
  • Victory Medal
  • Enlistment - WW1

    Midland, Western Australia, Australia

  • Birth

    St-Malo, France

  • Disembarked Plymouth

    Plymouth, Plymouth PL4 6DX, UK
    Saturday, 2 December 1916

  • Address in Western Australia

  • 5th MD

    Friday, 14 June 1918 - Friday, 6 September 1918

Stories and comments
    • A valiant soldier - the story of one man who just could not give up.
    • Posted by 00653804, Thursday, 13 November 2014

    Leon Jean Louis Briand was a French soldier, born in St. Malo, Brittany, who became a naturalised Australian subject. He enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force in 1914, and was sent to Europe to participate in the Gallipoli campaign, during which he was injured. Following this injury, Leon suffered several more bullet wounds, and then went absent without leave multiple times, and was subsequently punished with 18 months of I.H.L. He was taken prisoner of war by the Austro-Hungarian Empire near the end of battle of La Somme in 1917 after suffering from shrapnel to his right leg, and was held until the end of the war in 1918, when he was sent back to his home in Guildford, Western Australia. Léon Jean Louis Briand était un soldat français, né à St. Malo, en Bretagne, qui est devenu sujet australien par naturalisation. Il s’est engagé dans l’armée Impériale Australienne en 1914, et qui a été envoyé en Europe pour participer à la campagne de Gallipoli, dans laquelle il a été blessé. Suivant cette première blessure, Léon a souffert plusieurs autres blessures de balle, puis s’est absenté sans permission plusieurs fois de suite, étant finalement puni avec 18 mois d’I.H.L. Il a été pris prisonnier de guerre par l’Empire Autriche-Hongrois, vers la fin de la guerre a la bataille de la Somme en 1917 après avoir souffert du shrapnel, et a été détenu jusqu’à la fin de la guerre en 1918, quand il a été repartie a Guildford, Australie Occidental.